Author Topic: Fantasy that is NOT in English?  (Read 19333 times)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Fantasy that is NOT in English?
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »
Disclaimer: I did attempt to find an article here about this, but I was unable to, so sorry mods if I missed it on accident. Also, sorry if this should have been in other authors->misc, but this is the kitchen drawer... :P

I know we have some international readers/posters on this site, and I was wondering if you had any books that you liked that haven't been translated into English.

Primarily I've been looking for something in French because the stuff we have to read in class is dreadfully boring or very old (and French is the language I've been studying). Now don't get me wrong, Phedre and Fontaine's fables were lovely, but they just aren't my cup of tea. I'm pretty sure I asked Mazoku about this after she posted a comic in french, but I don't believe she knew of any.

I'm making this a broad topic of any non-English books because I know we have some people on here who speak German and I think one or two from Japan. And I think other people might be wondering about books in other languages and what we are missing out on (I dunno maybe I'm the only one oO)

So, post away with recommendations if you have any...(please post the language they are in as well as the title/author)

And oh yeah...it doesn't have to be fantasy. It can be sci-fi or romance or whatever you think is good.

Also, I wish I could read German but alas! the high school guidance counselors hated me...as does my schedule...

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Re: Fantasy that is NOT in English?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:53:52 am »
none? :(

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:50:19 pm »
Give me a bit more time.  Isn't "The Neverending Story" originally in a different language?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:56:19 pm »
I don't have any to recommend specifically, but I should be able to look up the ISBN numbers others recommendations to make it easier to purchase.  I do believe that you can get Harry Potter in French though.

*Edit - This is the link to the french version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone available through Amazon.com

http://tinyurl.com/3rmk4p

http://www.amazon.com/Potter-Lecole-Sorciers-Sorcerers-French/dp/2070612368/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1223499769&sr=11-1

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:03:49 pm by ElefiNecol »

mikaela_l

• Tool Wrangler
    • Book Recommendations
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »
There is one swedish fantasy novel, Aileme. I love it, it is an intresting take on religions and how they start.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »
Wasn't the "Inkheart" series started in another language & translated?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:44:50 pm »
Yes.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »
i know you can get the Dark Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop in other languages even though it was originally written in English.  same with a lot of Tamora Pierce's books.  For studying purposes it might be fun to get a favorite book that you've read in English and try to figure out the translation of it  ;D

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
i know you can get the Dark Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop in other languages even though it was originally written in English.  same with a lot of Tamora Pierce's books.  For studying purposes it might be fun to get a favorite book that you've read in English and try to figure out the translation of it  ;D

Yeah, I have Da Vinci Code in french, but I found it kind of I dunno illogical? to read it in it's translated copy. I was kind of hoping to get some in their original language (that aren't classical). There seems to be a shortage of them though...

:P

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:30:44 am »
Just to hop in on that (and if only I could remember some non-english authors I read that I liked and that fall in Fantasy):
Both the Neverending Story (Die Unendliche Geschichte by Michael Ende who also wrote the much acclaimed book Momo) and Inkheart(Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke) are from German authors.
Krabat I believe to be from a Swiss author, don't know if that got translated.
The only other Fantasy I can think of right now are Swedish* children books by Astrid Lindgren and Miaou (from which they made one of my favoured movies) by Annie M. G. Schmidt.

*Sorry if I should happen to be in the wrong country there, ashamedly I tend to get the northern countries mixed-up.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:40:13 am »
i only really know German stories possibly (because i took German for 4.5 years  ;D) but the Shock-Headed Peter stories (Der Struwwelpeter) are very fun to read.  they're like Grims tales except the children have a tendency of dying, having their thumbs cut off, etc.

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 09:41:41 am »
i only really know German stories possibly (because i took German for 4.5 years  ;D) but the Shock-Headed Peter stories (Der Struwwelpeter) are very fun to read.  they're like Grims tales except the children have a tendency of dying, having their thumbs cut off, etc.

haha the german teacher at my high school had those!

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:51:34 am »
they're definitely more interesting and entertaining to read than "Der Besuch Der Alten Dame" that my college German teacher had us read.   ::)
there were also a few random short stories that were interesting and i think they were written by Wolfgang Borchert (Das Brot, Die Küchenuhr).  we also read "Ein Tisch ist ein Tisch" which is entertaining and kind of depressing at the same time.

my dad also took me to a play of Struwwelpeter on either Broadway or off-Broadway (i forget which) that was run by a British cast and was utterly hilarious and awesome

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:38:42 am »
GERMAN:
Heike und Wolfgang Hohlbein! A german duo.

They write beautiful fantasy stories, especially for teenagers. Märchenmond for instance. Suitable for teenagers or adults if you're okay with children taking the main part in the stories.

And there is Akif Pirinçci's Felidae. He's a german author (parents are from Turkey I think) and wrote a few books about a cat (called Francis) investigating crimes. Cat crimes, that is. I love the books and I also think they made a pretty good movie out of it (a cartoon, but not the kind you'd want to show your kids)

And there is Christopher Zimmer, who wrote some books too, I own two of them... Solid fantasy, suitable for teenagers too (Die Steine der Wandlung!)

FRENCH:
I own some of his books in english, but since he was french, I guess the original versions should be available of Jules Verne.
Of course there is also Alexandre Dumas. A friend of mine told me of the stories of Erckmann-Chatrian, but I never tried to read one of them myself. I had french at school, but I didn't like it that much.
For fun, there is always Asterix, the comics about the Gauls who resist the Romans. It's written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Albert Uderzo and really fun. And originally in french.

And there is Jean-Louis Fetjaine, a french author of fantasy, maybe some of you know his books about elves. I know that they got translated to German, at least.

GW  WK  WH

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:58:39 am »
Marc Levy, Sept jours pour un éternité. It's not exactly fantasy, but it's a good book. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.