Author Topic: Fantasy that is NOT coming-of-age  (Read 21538 times)

Jazzlet

Re: Fantasy that is NOT coming-of-age
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:28 am »
Thanks for more suggestions :-*

We are moving to Manchester or near there Oldham at first, renting until we find the right place. It's only an hour or so across the Pennines, but will save my OH a lot of commuting time and even more money as he gets free travel on public transport in Manchester with his job ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 08:25:23 am »
Let's hear it for more hubby time & less use of expensive resources!
(I am so off topic.  Think, think think.)
The new Robin McKinley book has a heroine who is adult.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
Patti, is that in Chalice? I think that's sitting in my Amazon box waiting for me right now... squeee.  ;D (I haven't opened the box yet because I work at home and, let's be honest, the minute I open the box, one of the dozen or so books in it will get cracked, and then it's all over...)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:35 pm »
Yes, I couldn't remember the title.  I've got her last one before that in pb that I've just started.  The opening didn't appeal to me at first, but I did splurge a few weeks ago, and am getting into Dragon Haven.  Really liked Chalice.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »
A large portion of the diskworld series are wuth adult characters. A few with younger too, but I can't remember which ones to specifically tell you.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:02 pm »
Oh, man, Terry Pratchett is a freaking GENIUS! Any of the Discworld novels featuring Rincewind the incompetent wizard are hilarious. And, of course, Small Gods, which is my favorite (about what happens when people stop believing in Gods...

Terry Pratchett, along with Neil Gaiman, also wrote my favorite novel ever, which is Good Omens (have I mentioned it on this thread yet? Apologies if so...) There is a child character, but he only features in parts of the story and it's totally worth it. :D

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:03 am »
And given the age of the Them, it's NOT coming of age.
I think the only Diskworld that fall into this category would be "Equal Rites" and "Pyramids".

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 05:25:56 pm »
Plus the children's spin-off series he's doing. *nods* That is definately coming of age. But you're right, i think those two were the only two.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 06:21:14 pm »
i think the tinker series by Wen Spencer (Tinker and Wolf Who Rules) fit under this category.  the main character sometimes seems a little young but she doesn't really change/come to realize some special ability of hers really.

at least i think this series doesn't fall under the coming-of-age category.  anybody else who has read the books feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.  :P

drosdelnoch

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 06:00:33 am »
Hey Jazzlet,
LOL, Im just North of Manchester and I think youre going to love Deansgates Waterstones.  Very good selection of stuff with usually a good number of author signings.  The coffee shop theres also very good.

Right onto the serious business now of Recommendations: 
David Gemmell, Pure out and out fantasy escapism with it being more the spirit of man over magic.  If you want a romantic tale then you have his Troy trilogy which is good for that but its more historical fiction.  Work wise its dependent upon what you want but if you go to http://members.lycos.co.uk/punchbag that should help you see if he's your sort of author.

If you want more stuff like Patty's then Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, Jim Butcher and you might also like Jennifer Rardin.  I can recommend Tanya Huff's Vicky Nelson series (the Blood books) as well. 

Then again if you want pure fantasy if you could give us a taster of the sort of stuff you've already enjoyed we can go from there as to be honest I have quite a huge fantasy library here at home so Im fairly up on whats what currently in UK publishing.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 05:56:12 am »
Similar to Patty's early fantasy, the "before Mercy" stuff:

Juliet E. McKenna

The Tales of Einarinn
The Thief's Gamble (1999)
The Swordsman's Oath (1999)
The Gambler's Fortune (2000)
The Warrior's Bond (2001)
The Assassin's Edge (2002)

The Aldabreshin Compass
Southern Fire (2003)
Northern Storm (2004)
Western Shore (2005)
Eastern Tide (2006)

These two sets share a magical world. Thieves, Wizards, Swordsmen, Dragons, adventure. I liked them a lot. She's written more, I'm not up to date on her newer stuff. Too many books, not enough gold. But she's on my list.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 11:06:44 pm »
The "Thieves World" shared world anthologies and novels are not coming of age - oh, a few characters, maybe, but usually it's minor; the plots tend to be much more adult and not oriented to "oh, look, I'm special" because most of the characters are, one way and another.
Conan; Fafhard and the Grey Mouser; for fun, the "Castle Perilous" series by DeChancie; the Camber trilogy of the Deryni series by Kurtz.  "The Witches of Karres" is SF, but feels like fantasy, main character is an adult.  Poul Anderson's "Operation Chaos", WWII sort of...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »
One of our newer members, Matthew Lee Adams, has some e-books/self published volumes which are not coming of age, and you can see a sampler here:
http://matthewleeadams.com/category/excerpts/

If you have questions, just pop in here & ask, I'm sure he'll be willing to give more details.
In a bit, we can get his own thread up in the master list.