Author Topic: Fantasy that is NOT coming-of-age  (Read 21484 times)

Jazzlet

Fantasy that is NOT coming-of-age
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:29:02 pm »
I love fantasy, but one of the things I get a little bored by these days is 'coming of age' fantasy; you know, misunderstood youngster gets into trouble, finds friends and self while saving the world with a previously unrecognised talent. Nothing wrong with it, especially if well done, but it has been done a lot. The first of Patty's books I came across were the Ravens and although there are young ones in them the two main people are middle-aged - whoooo hoo! I had to read more :D and was pleased to find that a lot of Patty's characters are well over twenty ;D

So, oh founts of wisdom, what fantasy (or other) would you recommend for the more mature woman?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: Fantasy that is NOT coming-of-age
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:34:37 pm »
Top off my head only Tanya Huff's books come to mind (the Quarters cycle-fantasy, the Vicky Nelson books-urban fantasy, and the Valor books-sci fi).

Not that helpful I guess, if I come up with something else I add it. :)
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:36:27 pm »
Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold.  Cordelia's Honor, same author.
The Prince of Morning Bells (forgot the author, but it definitely starts there & takes a hard turn.)
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »
Song of the Beast by Carol Berg, it does have a bit of flashing back to the character's past when he was in his ealier twenties, but most of the book he is in his thirties if I remember right. Plus the book was just amazing. The Mage War Trilogy by Maercades Lackey, well, except for the third one, also features main characters that are, and have been for a while, adults.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:33:09 pm »
I'd recommend The Black Jewels Trilogy: true, the main character, Jaenelle, is but a child in the first book, but then there's plenty of other characters who are much older than her, Saetan in primis. Moreover, nothing coming-of-age: she's Witch, she knows it from the beginning, all the others know it from the beginning and her powers are there from the beginning. No self-discovery trips while saving the world. ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »
Anything of David Gemmell's (Gemell?? sp??).
Unless you're looking for lots of romance in a book.
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:11:13 am »
Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Jazzlet

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 04:55:03 pm »
I'd recommend The Black Jewels Trilogy: true, the main character, Jaenelle, is but a child in the first book, but then there's plenty of other characters who are much older than her, Saetan in primis. Moreover, nothing coming-of-age: she's Witch, she knows it from the beginning, all the others know it from the beginning and her powers are there from the beginning. No self-discovery trips while saving the world. ;)
By?

Thanks for the replies so far, I did try and reply before, but got gobbledegook about CPU being exceeded ???

Yes Huff has good mature types and Lackey does a few older ones as well, though a lot of her stuff is rathe coming of age

More please more :)

Taranis

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:32 pm »
Dresden Files (Jim Butcher), more paranormal than traditional fantasy, but excellent nonetheless.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:13:27 pm »
Black Jewels is by Anne Bishop, her incubus stories aren't really coming of age either now that I think about it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 06:25:52 pm »
Joanne Bertin's two "Last Dragonlord" books.  He's what, 4, 8 centuries old?
Although, I will admit, his soultwin is only in her early twenties, as is another 'oh, look' character.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
How about Chris Bunch with the Dragon Master trilogy? It's got some smut, its got dragons, and its a grim and gritty fantasy. While their is magic it is rare powerful and feared by the average person. So I would say it is a low fantasy. While the main character starts off young they skip the coming off age stuff for the most part.

Three books, with two being set during a war with the third the consequences of the war for the main characters.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 07:46:23 pm »
Oh, how could I forget?  If you don't mind the *dragon* being young and unusual, how about the "Tremaraire" ( I know I'm spelling it wrong) series?  Starts with "His Majesty's Dragon", and a British naval captain during the Napoleonic wars.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:53:53 pm »
I can't believe it took me this long to remember this recommendation, but pretty much anything by Guy Gavriel Kay fits that description! I think he actually helped put together The Simarilian (sp?) after Tolkien died. Then, his first trilogy was called "The Fionavar Tapestry." It's really a Tolkien-esque fantasy world. I personally looooooooooved that series. I actually didn't leave the house for a couple of days, blew off some friends, to finish one of the books, and then I ended up sobbing out loud at least twice. (Kay's not exactly afraid to kill off major characters.) I do have one friend who didn't enjoy him as much as I do, but considering he's in the minority, I consider him a fluke. :)

I've bought and read every single one of his books since then. Most of his other books take a particular place and time in history and re-imagine it in a fantasy setting. I think Tigana (based on Renaissance Italy) and The Lions of Al-Rassan (based on Moorish Spain, I think) are my favorites. A Song for Arbonne is really good as well -- based on medieval France.

The one and only drawback that I personally have found with his books is that, after reading so many of them, I can sometimes make predictions based on character types that he frequently uses. But I'm also one of those people that figures out "suspense" movies and novels during act one... so I'm kind of used to that.

But check out Kay. Hopefully, the very brief descriptions I gave and any Amazon digging can point you to which of his you might be interested in. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »
Anne McCaffrey and her dragon riders of pern books can fit that description, I would recomend spicifically, Moreta, Masterharper of Pern (covers most of his life), Dragon's Dawn and Dragon Eye (both of these have multipule characters, some which are 'coming of age' and some already adults.