Author Topic: Rob Thurman  (Read 35569 times)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: Rob Thurman
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:56 pm »
I am tempted to try it Ellyll.  I didn't like the first Leandros brothers book (not the writing) just the story line (could have been my mood at the time).  *hint* go to the what are you reading thread...great for pushing ;)

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 06:16:54 pm »
It's not as dark as the Leandros brothers stories.  The main character is female, and while she's a smartass like most of Thurman's characters, there's not so much of the monster theme running through it.  Trixa is very clever, and she's on a mission of vengeance, but she has people she cares about, and she's not wallowing, if that makes sense.  And there are great supporting characters, and a cool puzzle-like plot.  And that great twist at the end...   

Really, I recommend it highly.  It's one of those books that you read and then afterward you find yourself thinking about it again, because it was so good.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »
Ok, you win...I am adding it to my wishlist ;)

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 06:59:39 pm »
Yay!  My first pushed book!  bOuNcY bOuNcY

Let me know how you like it.  :)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 07:31:37 pm »
I certainly will.

lilliana

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:41:48 am »
Trick of the Light is soooooo GOOD! Its smart, witty, and fast paced. I love the characters - Trixa, Zeke, Griffin, Leo, and Lenore (wink). I wasnt sure what to expect. I read the first Cal Leandros book and liked it but havent moved on in the series, yet. (still up in the air about that series) But this Trixter novel is fantastic! I havent finished it yet and I'm having a hard time putting it down at work.  :-whistle
I am already hooked and definitely going to follow this series. Yay!  :D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:28:52 am by lilliana »

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:47 pm »
I got it Ellyll.  I am planning on reading it next week when I am out playing Army ;)

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 05:42:17 am »
 bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

I can't wait to hear what you think of it.  :)

lilliana

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:50 am »
Trick of the Light was amazing from beginning to the end - especially the end.
Lots and lots of praise for this book!

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 07:56:57 pm »
bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

I can't wait to hear what you think of it.  :)

Thank you for pushing this!  I loved it!  And someone else borrowed it for his wife to read.  He was checking out the back cover when I would leave it down on the desk.  I really hope she continues writing in this world.  It had twists that I really didn't see coming.  Have to re-read it soon :D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 08:18:01 am »
 :D

Me, too.  I expected it to be good, because I really love the Cal Leandros books, but this book far exceeded my already high expectations.  * happy sigh *  I love it when that happens.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:27 am »
Well you know it exceeded my expectations.  Like I said before she writes really well.  I liked this world better even tho she has some characters that cross over.  I might have to give the Cal Leandros series another try.  We will see.

lilliana

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 12:42:32 pm »
After reading Trick of the Light, I decided to give Rob Thurman another try. I read Nightlife a while back and enjoyed it but couldnt bring myself to continue on with the series because the storyline is a bit dark for my taste. Well I have decided to give the series another shot, and I have to say...the series just gets better and better. Nightlife and Moonshine were good but Madhouse was great and I'm reading Deathwish right now and its even better.  :D I just love Robin Goodfellow. He is one of the main reasons I have continued on with this sereis. He's vain, sexy, ruthless, snarky...and he knows it.  LOL

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 03:02:44 pm »
Okay, I'm blaming you for this, lilliana, because you got me looking back at Madhouse, and I had to post one of my favorite moments.  (Yes, I am a sad, sad person, why do you ask?)  LOL  I need to share it with someone, and no one else I know reads it... 

The next few minutes proved to be a learning experience. 

First: Bar fights are the same, human or otherwise.  The enthusiasm is identical; only the level of violence changes.  Second: Peris can fly.  Really.  Third: Peris, flying or grounded, have hellacious tempers.  Four: Pucks don't let anyone tell them what to do.  Five: Even blind drunk, said pucks can kick serious ass. 

Before it was all over, there were chunks of fur, scales, feathers, and some things I didn't recognize littering the floor.  There were also pools of blood and splatters of vomit, all covered with the glitter of shattered glass in an unpleasant kaleidoscope that I had no intention of cleaning up.  Finally, there were Ishiah and Danyeal.  They were flinging drunken fighters through the door while hovering in midair with wings fiercely beating, and it was something to see: The biblical exit from Eden meets a caged death match.  I pushed up, sat on the bar, drank half a beer and enjoyed the show.

I just loved that scene.  LOL

lilliana

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
That is a fantastic scene.  LOL LOL LOL  Share all you like...I have seriously grown to love this series and no one I know reads it either.

Another great scene from Madhouse is when Robin took Cal to get laid...

Robin: "Oh, I nearly forgot. She may...may...try to eat you afterward, but its rare. Only if she finds you very, very charming, and with your personality I think we know what the odds are on that.   LOL

I can never get enough of Robin.  ;)