Author Topic: Rob Thurman  (Read 38511 times)

Alacrana

Rob Thurman
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:09:46 am »
Rob(yn) Thurman is an awesome author by my lights.  At the moment, she's got two books out called Nightlife and Moonshine, both urban fantasy.  Nightlife is the first one, about Caliban (half human, half something else not as pleasant) and his brother (all human) on the run from the creatures that make up the not-so-pleasant half of Cal.  Moonshine is the continuation of their adventures.  All of it is delivered with a heavy dose of biting sarcasm and joke-cracking from Cal's point of view.

Thurman's world has it all.  Vampires, werewolves, elves, fairies, trolls, banshees, psychics, healers, et cetera.  You name it, it's been seen on the streets of NYC where the stories are mostly set.  I thought her take on werewolf dynamics was pretty interesting too.

But the most interesting part for me are Cal and Niko (the human brother.)  Rowr!  Never have two fictional characters been so hot to me.  And not because they set out to be.  They're not the preternatural studs another writer I could name stuffs their books full of.  It's just that Cal and Niko's personalities seem so real.  You get to know them very quickly.  Plus, I've got a weakness for funny guys and Cal is very funny.

Go!  Buy the books!  Read!  Fall in love!

(I feel like an overenthusiastic blurber/review writer...)

Samhain Girl

Re: Rob Thurman
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:17:59 am »
The series by Rob is indeed awesome, nice new spin on creatures and characters.  I would definitely recommend everyone go out an try the books!

Jule

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:12 am »
Yeah, I really love the characters. Cal's one of my top favorite literary figures.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:01:15 am »
I love her humor in the books - and she does the brother dynamic really well, too.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kmarie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:51:04 pm »
Excellent reads, fun and very hard to put down.  I just went to her website and see that another book in the series is set for release in 2008... Madhouse.  I remember how disappointed I was when I did research on her and found just the two books.   Now I have another reason to look forward to 2008, the HBO series on Sookie from Charlaine Harris's books and now this!
"A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature." -
  --  Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:10:51 pm »
I just finished Moonshine.  I like these, a lot.  Now I just have to wait for another week or so for the third.   :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

LadyErehwon

• Tool Wrangler
  • No one else is going to enjoy your life for you.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:52:26 pm »
(Bumping)

I just came to check and see that Thurman made our list!  I love the books, and it's kinda nice to see a guy hero once in a while. 

Niko rocks!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:46:09 pm »
I finished Madhouse a short time ago. It was great, but I ended up giving my books to another online book friend who loves horror because the series just got to bloody and icky for me. But I am a wuss in that department. I'd still love to know what happens to the characters, but I may wait and read someone else's summation. I'd still encourage everyone to get the books, though - just not if you're as squeamish as me  :o
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
I totally dig these books, but I'll wait 'till I'm not fubar to write up something. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:11:25 pm »
I really love these books.  I like them so much that I'm willing to overlook one of my pet peeves while waiting for a (hopeful) fourth. 

ladyj

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
I'm a new fan of Thurmans. Wow, I think she is a great writer. I just started her third book, Madhouse, and am not the least disappointed. Her series is a little darker than some others and I can see how a a person could be a little squemish. Her sarcastic wit knows no equal; not sure I would want to be her friend. Her fourth book, Deathwish, will be out in Feb or March. She also has a new series starting up this fall. Sounds interesting.

Anyway, I was glad to see other fans here.  :)

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:01 am »
Okay, this is killing me.  I'm dying for Deathwish (yeah, I see the pun  :P ), and I have to fly to Houston and back and I want it, want it, want it!  * kicks feet in tantrum *

Why, oh why, can't my local bookstores be some of the ones who have it early???  * adds wailing to the tantrum * 

Just had to get that off my chest.  :D

Tantrum over now.

ladyj

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 08:58:50 am »
Today is the release date for Deathwish. woohoo!! B&N is suppose to have my copy on hold which I will get today. Won't get to read it for awhile but I'll still have it in hand. Security, you know, is very important  ;)

Ellyll, I just love a good tantrum!!  ;D Thanks. But take heart, by not buying it early and getting it on the release date, maybe that will help her make some of the book rankings, Publishers Weekly, ect.

Edit: I now have Deathwish in my hands!!  ;D I'm feeling very secure now. Of course, also bought Brian Keene's horror novels, The Conqueror Worms and Ghoul, and the anthology, Mean Streets, with a Harry Dresden story. I need to learn to budget better or not go into a book store.  :(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:23:36 pm by ladyj »

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:43:17 pm »
Rob Thurman has posted an excerpt from her new book coming out in September, Trick of the Light.  It's a new series, not the Leandros brothers, and it looks really good...

Here it is. Trick of the Light excerpt

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:47 am »
I just finished Trick of the Light last night.  It was really, really good.  I love Trixa and Leo and Zeke and Griffin.  DO NOT read the end first; there's some great plot twists that just would just ruin the story if you knew them in advance.  It was a very fun ride. 

I must learn how to book-push.  I'd really push this one.  :)