Author Topic: Re: On The Prowl  (Read 4331 times)

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: On The Prowl
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:42:14 am »
Yep.  Is it fantasy or romance? That seems to be a question that readers had too.   They read my story and say, "Hey, isn't this supposed to be a romance anthology?"  or Sunny's story and say, "Hey, there's too much s** in here for a fantasy."  This anthology had two of us who are published as fantasy writers -- Karen Chance and I.  And two people who are normally published as romance writers.  However, Eileen's last few books are definitely more fantasy than romance.  Karen only has a couple of (very good) books out.  And Sunny, who is rightly published in romance, is often compared to Anne Bishop and LKH who are both fantasy writers.  From the publisher's perspective, they hoped this anthology would bring in more cross-over readers.  Get the urban fantasy readers to try some paranormal romance and  romance readers to try some urban fantasy.  Since the anthology sold really well (made it to the NYT extended list), I guess it worked.

There are stores that put urban fantasy in horror.  Where it really doesn't belong.  Horror, IMHO, has more to do with the lack of hope than with vampires and ghouls and stuff.  But then, they don't have to listen to me <grin>.  Worse are the stores who put Some of the urban fantasy into the horror section and some in SF/F section.

Genre is getting to be a headache for bookstore owners again <grin>

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
What genre of book is Cry Wolf?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:32:27 am »
What genre are the Cry Wolf series supposed to be?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:01:13 pm by Elle »

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Cry Wolf: Genra?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:38:44 pm »
Venus:
Your guess is as good as mine!  Genre's are really a marketing tool, and kind of an artificial label stuck on a book.  There are some books that are straight down the middle of a genre, and others that don't fit well at all.   Cry Wolf (technically, the Alpha and Omega Series, according to the marketing people) is being marketed as Urban Fantasy.  However, it has a good deal more romance than most UF, and leans pretty heavily towards paranormal romance. 

The third-person, head hopping viewpoint and strong emphasis on romance are certainly typical of romance novels.  The violence, world building, and political aspects are more common in Urban Fantasy.   I would expect to see a similar flavor in future books in this series, so it wasn't an accidental balance of attributes..  It doesn't fit neatly down the middle of either genre, and could quite appropriately be shelved either way.

Where's my super-suit?