Author Topic: Kirsten Britain  (Read 38313 times)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung außerdem
Kirsten Britain
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
Anybody read her green rider series? I loved the first two books and the third is also a good read - although she's overdone all the mystic forces there in my opinion.
Basically the books are about a girl who gets a calling she never expected or wanted and stumbles into all kind of events which lead to her resuing the world (as usual ;)) and falling in love with her king. nice world-building  good characters and one or two really surprising twists in the story. The second book is structured really interesting too - I enjoyed it on several levels!
no signatures, no comment

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Kirsten Britain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:44 am »
I have read her first two books and I enjoyed them. KB isn't my favorite author but she is in my top 10. I haven't read the third book yet, I am waiting for it to come out in paperback. Compared to the Mercy series (Patricia Briggs) or the Jax series (Ann Aguirre) it can seem slow, but the world is really interesting.
~*~ Nyx ~*~ Goddess of the Night ~*~

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:43:49 am »
I loved Green Rider I think that's the name of the first one. The second one was awesome too, but I seem to remember waiting a very long time for the 3rd book to come out, and by the time it had, I had forgotten about it. However, I found a free slightly chewed hardback copy of it at the local used bookstore, so when I go on break, I plan on re-reading the entire series.

I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who likes fantasy. I enjoyed it very much when I read it. :)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:07 am »
my sister had a preorder for the hardcover of "the high kings tomb" on amazon - and it drifted over to my place about two weeks ago. So I've read it about three times 'til now - but  as I said - for my taste the first two books were better. And yes being a fan of her has it's drawbacks  because there ist so much time in between the books!

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:45:12 am »
They are longer books then other writters. Cry wolf was 294 pgs. Green Rider (book 1, by KB) is 471 pgs and First Riders Call (book 2, by KB) is 596 pgs.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:24 am »
I am still waiting on the paperback version of The High King.

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:43:17 pm »
I loved the first 2, but was a little disappointed in the third.  I mean after 4 years of waiting, I wanted some resolution in a certain quarter already!

As it took 5 years for the second book "First Riders Call" to come out and 4 years before we saw "The High Kings Tomb" do you think we'll see the next in the series sometime in 2010?

Yea gods!  I'm glad most authors have at least one book come out a year!
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »
I love this series - I even bought the last one in hardcover. It's been so long since I read it though, I might have to re-read it soon. Britian does take a looooonnnnggg time to write, though! It really seems excessive. But I love the series.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Jazzlet

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:02 am »
Somewhere there is another Britain thread that I started ages ago ;D

I too am wating for the paperback of The High King's Tomb, it does take a long time between books, but she doesn't write full time >:(

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:15:44 am »
Wow, I didn't know she doesn't write full time. It must be hard to keep track of the story line of such a long book and a series if you are only working on it part time. Maybe that's why there is such a long wait between books, she has to keep going back and figuring out what's going on.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:42:10 am by Goddess of the Night »

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:08 am »
well   also got the impression  that the difference between the first two books and the last was  that Kirsten Britain didn't really have an inspiration on how to go on. The first two books surprised me several times with unusual twists in the plot and insights into the main characters  that were absolutely believable. With the third book I got the feeling  that she was doing everything that worked well with the first books - but nothing new and surprising. So instead of the new she did more of the things that worked before... and that is sometimes too much for my taste!
Perhaps that is also one of the reasons it did take so long - perhaps she did try to find another fascinationg new angle like the Hadrian El Fex journal in Green Riders Call... and just didn' get one.
But  what the heck  it is still a good book and quite above some other stuff that's on the market... and much more than I ever could hope to achieve!!!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:56 pm »
I really enjoyes these stories! Yeah it tis too bad we have to wait so long in between stories, but hopefully she sells enough soon that she can write full time. That would be awesome!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:17 pm »
Doesn't she work as a park ranger or something?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »
The third book is out? Oh my, I guess I'd better go see about getting my hands on a copy of the first two and see if I can find the new one in ebook format somewhere.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:32 am »
I just looked on her web site and she no longer works as a park ranger. She now writes full time! Maybe she will get them out faster... crossing my fingers and praying...

http://www.kristenbritain.com/bio.html
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden