Author Topic: Cancelled shows, now on scifi/dvd.  (Read 22818 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: Books, movies, and charactors/actors you liked as kids.
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »
Lets see... When I was very little, "The cat who wore a pot on her head," "Katie's Zoo," and "Anna and the Wild Animals" were three of my favorite books (do we sense a theme here?)
Later, The Wolfling, Rascal, Julie of the Wolves, Shiloh... White Fang and The Call of the Wild... Foxes Three (my mom eventually banned this one, no idea why she hated it so much but I checked it out from the library six or seven times)... the Jungle Book

And when I got older, Redwall. 

I didn't watch many movies as a kid.  My very favorite was White Fang... I was irrationally terrified of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast (who is still freaking creepy as $h!t) but otherwise enjoyed Disney animated movies (not Mickey and Minnie.  Mickey's voice is annoying).
They constantly showed The Sandlot in school... we had a 'fun day' once where we were supposed to go outside and play games and stuff.  It stormed instead, and we watched "movies"... or rather, we watched "The Sandlot" in every class all day.  I saw the first forty-five minutes or so of that #@#$%$! movie seven times.  I didn't like it that much to begin with.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »
I keep wanting to see the "ABC After School Specials" version of "The Dog Days of Arthur Caine", but every time I've seen it listed on the tube, they're playing one of the "Mouse and the Motorcycle" specials instead.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:28 pm »
   Most of those movies and books I do not know. :) I actually never really liked mickey either.

Patti- I do not know either one.
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
*picks jaw off of floor*
You never read any of the Beverly Cleary "Ralph S. Mouse" books?  They may be a little young for you now, but they're nice enough, just... by the time I ran across DDofAC, I was done with them.
DDofAC is relatively obscure.  I enjoy it; one of the "do you now see how much worse your life could be?  Shut up and soldier, soldier" type books.  I recommend it; the privileged New York kid gets changed into a mutt of a dog & spends the summer acting as guide dog to a nearly blind artist in the NYC art community.

highcountryrider

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
Oh I totally forgot about The Saint!<snip>

Roger Moore :X or Vincent Price :-LOVE?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 07:21:47 pm »
I prefer the paper version, and I really, really prefer him to Val Kilmer!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »
Roger Hall in "You're Stepping On My Cloak And Dagger" - he died a few years ago; the book is about when he was in WWII, so no surprise there.  From (as in published/found by me) the same era, Albert from "And, to my Nephew Albert, I leave the Island what I won off Fatty Hagan in a Poker Game..."  Kioga, Mighty Mouse.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: Cancelled shows, now on scifi/dvd.
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »
Any new titles, perhaps from the past *checks last post*  eep! two and a half years?

Janilee

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 02:05:44 am »
I remember really loving Space Above and Beyond. The plot was a WWII movie set in space. It was great. It had wonderful characters. They advertised it so badly in the beginning, no one watched it. I had hopes that when Sci/Fi picked it up they would continue the story line, but it didn't happen. It was fun watching all the actors get an episode on X-files in the next season.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 03:07:58 am »
I really like Blood Ties, which ended after the first season. I have never been able to find more episodes anyway.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:02 am »
Space Above and Beyond, the reputedly most expensive Sci-Fi show in it's time... vaguely remember that. Actually, looking at the new Galactica, I wonder if they weren't just ahead of their time?

Pity about Blood Ties, just when one got used to it they cancelled it.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Sadie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
No one mentioned Firefly. I loved this show and it only lasted 10 episodes before it was cancelled by FOX. Joss Wheadon, Nathan Fillion. Space cowboys. What's not to love? :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »
Firefly was mentioned early, by Gerd, but he hadn't watched it.  Bill loves it.  I struggled a bit after I saw the first episode, it seemed to demand background knowledge that wasn't there for me.  After I saw the movie based on it, "Serenity", I could watch the episodes and felt more (oddly...) as though I understood what was going on, or was at least able to just enjoy without worrying about the "before" too much.

I rather liked "Kolchack:  The Night Stalker" partly because it was based on a couple of made for TV movies, one of which was based in Seattle's Underground, and partly for Darrin McGavin.

I have vague memories of "My Mother the Car", although it didn't go to SF channel, and I doubt it's on DVD.  *is afraid to look."

Sadie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:57 pm »
I loved Firefly from the get go. But I try to not be obnoxious with my Firefly love.  :-LOVE

Pushing Daisies, which I think is on DVD now. It only lasted one and a half seasons but I was hooked.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »
Hey, another Browncoat! Shiny! "Let's go be bad guys!"

I love that show.
Hurog Means Dragon.