Author Topic: George R.R. Martin  (Read 11896 times)

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
Re: George R.R. Martin
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 06:26:20 am »
I cannot possibly say just how much I love this series. It's without a doubt the best I've ever read in epic fantasy- mindboggling plot, interesting world, awesome characters... How anyone manages to keep it all together I have no idea, but Martin does- a huge accomplishment IMO.

I love nearly all the characters (even the evil ones), even though I agree with Grey- I don't care about the Ironborn nearly half as much as I do for the rest of the cast, never did. But then again, I'm pretty sure Martin has something up his sleeve for them.

Too bad ASOIAF is probably not coming to HBO in 2008 -nor any time soon apparently. I was so thrilled when I first heard about those rumors, but it seems like both Martin and HBO have too many other projects at the moment.

@ thehuntress: LOL! Yay, I'm not alone! People make fun of me because I get angry when they change covers like that- I guess it sounds petty, because books are just books... but I love my books! Anyway, glad I'm not alone in my pettiness.  ;D
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 05:16:57 pm »
Oh no, I hate it when covers are changed too...I have collected all of the Sandman graphic novels, and they all match on the bookshelf...Except the last one. >;(
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 10:53:30 pm »
In Europe the Harry Potter paperbacks come in two different sizes even though they look the same design-wise. I was so mad when I came back home with Order of the Phoenix and discovered the book is taller than the other ones. It looks so stupid on the shelf, with it sticking out like that! Why would they do that?? Ah well...*sigh*
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 01:27:07 pm »
GREAT NEWS!!!!
Looks like the success of True Blood has finally pushed Song of Ice and Fire onto the forefront :D

George R.R. Martin's bestselling Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series might be headed to HBO soon. The broadcast company greenlighted a pilot of the series, one of 10 HBO pilots currently up for consideration.

Tor reports that the series might have an innovative release schedule, focusing on an individual book each season. According to The Live Feed, that could potentially mean seven years worth of epic fantasy television if Martin meets his projections of seven novels for the series.

On his blog entitled Not a Blog, Martin gave an insider's view of the project, generating eight pages of comments in the process. Check it out: "David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series."
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/adaptation/hbo_orders_pilot_for_george_rr_martins_fantasy_novel_series_100455.asp?c=rss
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Jax

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 09:41:12 am »
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

He's listing who will be playing roles in Game of Thrones. :)

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 12:42:13 pm »
I wonder if this will push GRRM over the activation energy hump so that he starts writing these books again!
Find what you love and do it!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:50 pm »
I bought GAME OF THRONES today...enticed by the upcoming series.  I watched a lot of the "on demand" specials that HBO has pulled together, and it made everything look really appealing.  So I thought I'd take a stab at it...try to read the first book before the series starts in a few weeks.

I thought it was funny that the first post in this thread dates back to 2007, and the posters were speculating that MAYBE he'd put out a new book "next year," meaning 2008.  And here it is, 2011!  Although I hear that the 5th book IS scheduled for July.  They've got artwork and everything!  I guess that’s a good sign.

As a longtime (20 years) reader of Diana Gabaldon's epic Outlander series, I can relate to the pain that comes with loving these loooong, unfinished series.  I thought Gabaldon was slow, as she tends to take 4 years between books these days, but I think Martin might be slower.  (I dunno…the first Martin book in this series came out in 1996.  Now it’s 2011.  That’s 15 years.  If the 5th book does come out this year, that’s an average of 3 years per book.  Gabaldon’s Outlander came out in 1991…now it’s 2011.  So…20 years divided by the 7 books currently in print is 2.9 years per book.  So yeah…he’s slower than even Gabaldon!  Amazing!)

In watching the specials about the upcoming reviews and reading the series, I'm intrigued by the "shades of gray" of all the characters.  It seems that characters are not wholly good or wholly bad…that they don’t fit neatly into the villain or hero slots.  That can be nice to read. The only thing is that I worry that I might ultimately feel the story is a downer.  I remember as a kid reading (and liking) the Cheysuli series by Roberson, but ultimately it was tough for me to take because it was very dynastic, and in order for a new set of characters to come on board, the old set had to die.  So I’d read a book and get attached to the characters and their story…and then at the end they would die to make way for the new folks.  Grrr!)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 07:43:19 am »
Nifty, a LOT of dying goes on in this series!  Particularly in "A Feast for Crows".
Find what you love and do it!

nuitblanche

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:14 am »
I just hope that A Dance with Dragons will not be a disappointment and will somehow bring all the disjointedness of A Feast of Crows together with "clean or somewhat cleaner" understandable and believable ending.

And hopefully the HBO series will not stray into the area of going after the "Big, Buck, Blatant B***s***" melodramas or story plots that have no clear relationship to the original books. 

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »
I moved the next post to our brand new thread just for the Game of Thrones series.  It's right HERE.  Enjoy the exciting talk about the series.    :) 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »
Martin is coming to Con Carolinas this weekend. I may or may not get a book signed; the line starts an hour ahead of time! I'm not that patient. But I'll bring my book just in case.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:01:12 am »
Tombs of Fire and Ice are ponderous to read.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 07:19:47 pm »

I don't know if this will show up as an image, so it's an announcement, with book cover for Fire and Blood which takes place 300 years before Game of Thrones.  When Dragons ruled Westeros.  First of 2 volumes.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 05:19:10 am »
Wow!