Author Topic: George R.R. Martin  (Read 11429 times)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
George R.R. Martin
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:24 am »
I just recently re-read the 'song of fire and ice' series so its fresh in my mind.  I enjoy how Martin writes villains you love to hate, that are sometimes hard to tell if they really are villains, or just people working with what they have in a bad situation.  I've spent more time discussing who's doing what and for what motive with people than I have for any other series. 

The violence is brutal, but believable, no dangling heroes over pits of molten lava in these books. ;)  I also like that he's not afraid to kill off characters, it makes the victories all that more important and riveting.  You wind up cringing at some of the parts, or laughing darkly with bloodlust at others. (ok, maybe just me. >:D

I wind up if not liking, then...understanding most of the characters.  Some of my favorites are Tyrion the dwarf, and Arya the youngest Stark girl.  The one character I wind up hating the most is Sansa, I just keep wanting to slap her silly.  Only with the most recent book have I started to think she might have something to recommend her, but for the most part I'd be just as happy if she'd fall off a cliff. :P 

Tried to keep this post spoiler-free, but I can go more in depth if anyone wants to talk about the books. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:50:30 pm by Mike Briggs »
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Fairyfreak

• Grease Monkey
Re: George R.R. Martin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:34:53 pm »
I LOVE the Song of Ice and Fire series!!  Arya is my favorite character, followed by the Hound and Tyrion.  I'm not thrilled with Sansa, but I remind myself that she is very young.  :)  The character that makes me want to dive into the book and slap her is Lady Stark.   ;D  lol...So easy to get sucked into this series.  And I'm also impressed with Martin's integrety to reality by killing characters when they get into deadly situations.  It always annoys me when weird miracles are pulled out at the last minute to save everyone and win the day.  It's gotta be real.  It's what I like about the Mercy series too!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:41:31 pm »
Yeah the lady Stark annoyed me at times too, but I also sympathized with her.  After all, she's relatively powerless and everyone else (the males) can make decisions about her life, I'd be a more than a little bitter too.  Her sister is the one who's a real nutter. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

thehuntress

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:28 am »
It's hard to list favourite characters from this series, because the longer it goes on, the more characters I find to like.  Although, on the whole, I wasn't really that impressed with Feast for Crows.  Probably because I'm really dying to hear more about Jon, Bran and Dany.

Sansa and Cersei are my slap silly candidates.

AnemicOak

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:46:44 am »
Absolutely love this series.  I just wish he'd get the next book done.

My favorite characters change over time, and of course you never know if they'll be alive from one moment to the next.  Sometimes it feels as if no one is safe, which can be good & bad at times.

~Brian

Jule

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
 I love the series too. I really like how complex his characters are, how you can choose who to love or hate. I also really like how there really is no "good" and "evil". Just a lot of people who want revenge or power. Exactly how it should be....  ;)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:54 am »
Yep, all those are reasons why I love those books.  Even someone who you wind up hating at the beginning, like Jaime, winds up growing on you just because he's so damned witty, and a bit tragic.  Have any of you read the graphic novel, the Hedge Knight? (I think that's what it's called)  Wonderful artwork in it.

Jule

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:09:46 pm »
Love Jaime....

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:05:35 pm »
Having just re-read the books released thus far, I have to say I'm not all that sure that he made the right decision with the way he split up Feast of Crows.  He pretty much kept one of my favorite characters and couldn't put all that much for her, since she's not in a position to do much.  I got depressed and bored while reading anything to do with the Ironborn (I honestly think he could have left out those chapters and summed it up with someone getting a raven telling them what happened, or maybe just ONE chapter devoted to them)   and Cersei is so loathsome I felt tainted reading her chapters. She's more necessary that the Ironborn to read about since she's in the middle of things at the capitol, but still. 
   I really wonder if going along with his first idea, "whack the book in half and say 'to be continued...' "  wouldn't have been a better plan after all.

Jule

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:25:56 pm »
 I don't think his publishers allowed him to keep A Dance With Dragons and A Feast for Crows one book; it would have been too long. Nevertheless, I also think that the story suffered because of the splitting. The first three books were spectacular, but A Feast for Crows felt like research. Still a good book, but I'm hoping the next book will be better.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:33:22 pm »
Yeah I'm quite annoyed with the publishers for that too. :P  I would have paid extra  money for a larger book, and I'm sure the vast majority of his fans would have said "yes" to that too, rather than get this (rather boring) book  and have to wait even LONGER for the second part of it.

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:03 am »
I've read a LOT of fantasy books, but I've not let myself get into this series for one reason - GRRM takes too long two write books!! :p I was planning to start the series when the last book came out, but when I heard what people were saying, i thought to myself, ya know, let's just wait a bit longer and not be like all these poor people waiting for the next book to come out. It's bad enough waiting for all the other author's to finish writing, like Patty Briggs, Jim Butcher, and Robert Jordan, without adding another series to the list!! ;)
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:19 pm »
He does have a plan of sorts for the series, I think its going to be 8 books, and we've gotten 4, the 5th MIGHT come out  next year.  Honestly, go ahead and buy 'em, because you'll want to re-read them like I have. ;)  (I've read the first three at least 3 or 4 times already, new things just keep cropping up each time)

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:48:19 pm »
LOL - I bought 'em a few years ago, read the first one, enjoyed it, then stopped when I saw how long it was going to be before the next book was released much less before the series would be completed!! I'll get to them eventually, I'm sure, once the story picks up a bit, which I heard it didn't do in the last book. :p
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

thehuntress

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »
Having just re-read the books released thus far, I have to say I'm not all that sure that he made the right decision with the way he split up Feast of Crows.  He pretty much kept one of my favorite characters and couldn't put all that much for her, since she's not in a position to do much.  I got depressed and bored while reading anything to do with the Ironborn (I honestly think he could have left out those chapters and summed it up with someone getting a raven telling them what happened, or maybe just ONE chapter devoted to them)   and Cersei is so loathsome I felt tainted reading her chapters. She's more necessary that the Ironborn to read about since she's in the middle of things at the capitol, but still. 
   I really wonder if going along with his first idea, "whack the book in half and say 'to be continued...' "  wouldn't have been a better plan after all.

Yeah, pretty much somes up my feelings on that book.  I mean, Jaime's getting more interesting, but I would have loved to have heard more about Arya.  Then pretty much all my other fave characters (Dany, Bran, Jon, Tyrion) were absent.  And now we have to wait forever for another half a book...

Elayne, if you're serious about your books, wait until he (finally) finishes.  That way you'll be able to buy all the books with the same cover.  Hate when they change it half way through on you.  :-\

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 05:26:20 am »
I cannot possibly say just how much I love this series. It's without a doubt the best I've ever read in epic fantasy- mindboggling plot, interesting world, awesome characters... How anyone manages to keep it all together I have no idea, but Martin does- a huge accomplishment IMO.

I love nearly all the characters (even the evil ones), even though I agree with Grey- I don't care about the Ironborn nearly half as much as I do for the rest of the cast, never did. But then again, I'm pretty sure Martin has something up his sleeve for them.

Too bad ASOIAF is probably not coming to HBO in 2008 -nor any time soon apparently. I was so thrilled when I first heard about those rumors, but it seems like both Martin and HBO have too many other projects at the moment.

@ thehuntress: LOL! Yay, I'm not alone! People make fun of me because I get angry when they change covers like that- I guess it sounds petty, because books are just books... but I love my books! Anyway, glad I'm not alone in my pettiness.  ;D
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:16:57 pm »
Oh no, I hate it when covers are changed too...I have collected all of the Sandman graphic novels, and they all match on the bookshelf...Except the last one. >;(

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 09:53:30 pm »
In Europe the Harry Potter paperbacks come in two different sizes even though they look the same design-wise. I was so mad when I came back home with Order of the Phoenix and discovered the book is taller than the other ones. It looks so stupid on the shelf, with it sticking out like that! Why would they do that?? Ah well...*sigh*
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 12:27:07 pm »
GREAT NEWS!!!!
Looks like the success of True Blood has finally pushed Song of Ice and Fire onto the forefront :D

George R.R. Martin's bestselling Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series might be headed to HBO soon. The broadcast company greenlighted a pilot of the series, one of 10 HBO pilots currently up for consideration.

Tor reports that the series might have an innovative release schedule, focusing on an individual book each season. According to The Live Feed, that could potentially mean seven years worth of epic fantasy television if Martin meets his projections of seven novels for the series.

On his blog entitled Not a Blog, Martin gave an insider's view of the project, generating eight pages of comments in the process. Check it out: "David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series."
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/adaptation/hbo_orders_pilot_for_george_rr_martins_fantasy_novel_series_100455.asp?c=rss
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Jax

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41:12 am »
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

He's listing who will be playing roles in Game of Thrones. :)

ppbwashu

• Mechanic
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:42:13 am »
I wonder if this will push GRRM over the activation energy hump so that he starts writing these books again!
Find what you love and do it!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »
I bought GAME OF THRONES today...enticed by the upcoming series.  I watched a lot of the "on demand" specials that HBO has pulled together, and it made everything look really appealing.  So I thought I'd take a stab at it...try to read the first book before the series starts in a few weeks.

I thought it was funny that the first post in this thread dates back to 2007, and the posters were speculating that MAYBE he'd put out a new book "next year," meaning 2008.  And here it is, 2011!  Although I hear that the 5th book IS scheduled for July.  They've got artwork and everything!  I guess that’s a good sign.

As a longtime (20 years) reader of Diana Gabaldon's epic Outlander series, I can relate to the pain that comes with loving these loooong, unfinished series.  I thought Gabaldon was slow, as she tends to take 4 years between books these days, but I think Martin might be slower.  (I dunno…the first Martin book in this series came out in 1996.  Now it’s 2011.  That’s 15 years.  If the 5th book does come out this year, that’s an average of 3 years per book.  Gabaldon’s Outlander came out in 1991…now it’s 2011.  So…20 years divided by the 7 books currently in print is 2.9 years per book.  So yeah…he’s slower than even Gabaldon!  Amazing!)

In watching the specials about the upcoming reviews and reading the series, I'm intrigued by the "shades of gray" of all the characters.  It seems that characters are not wholly good or wholly bad…that they don’t fit neatly into the villain or hero slots.  That can be nice to read. The only thing is that I worry that I might ultimately feel the story is a downer.  I remember as a kid reading (and liking) the Cheysuli series by Roberson, but ultimately it was tough for me to take because it was very dynastic, and in order for a new set of characters to come on board, the old set had to die.  So I’d read a book and get attached to the characters and their story…and then at the end they would die to make way for the new folks.  Grrr!)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

ppbwashu

• Mechanic
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:19 am »
Nifty, a LOT of dying goes on in this series!  Particularly in "A Feast for Crows".
Find what you love and do it!

nuitblanche

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 10:20:14 am »
I just hope that A Dance with Dragons will not be a disappointment and will somehow bring all the disjointedness of A Feast of Crows together with "clean or somewhat cleaner" understandable and believable ending.

And hopefully the HBO series will not stray into the area of going after the "Big, Buck, Blatant B***s***" melodramas or story plots that have no clear relationship to the original books. 

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:05 pm »
I moved the next post to our brand new thread just for the Game of Thrones series.  It's right HERE.  Enjoy the exciting talk about the series.    :) 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 05:03:22 pm »
Martin is coming to Con Carolinas this weekend. I may or may not get a book signed; the line starts an hour ahead of time! I'm not that patient. But I'll bring my book just in case.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 08:01:12 am »
Tombs of Fire and Ice are ponderous to read.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 06:19:47 pm »

I don't know if this will show up as an image, so it's an announcement, with book cover for Fire and Blood which takes place 300 years before Game of Thrones.  When Dragons ruled Westeros.  First of 2 volumes.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 04:19:10 am »
Wow!