Author Topic: George R.R. Martin  (Read 11430 times)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
George R.R. Martin
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:24 am »
I just recently re-read the 'song of fire and ice' series so its fresh in my mind.  I enjoy how Martin writes villains you love to hate, that are sometimes hard to tell if they really are villains, or just people working with what they have in a bad situation.  I've spent more time discussing who's doing what and for what motive with people than I have for any other series. 

The violence is brutal, but believable, no dangling heroes over pits of molten lava in these books. ;)  I also like that he's not afraid to kill off characters, it makes the victories all that more important and riveting.  You wind up cringing at some of the parts, or laughing darkly with bloodlust at others. (ok, maybe just me. >:D

I wind up if not liking, then...understanding most of the characters.  Some of my favorites are Tyrion the dwarf, and Arya the youngest Stark girl.  The one character I wind up hating the most is Sansa, I just keep wanting to slap her silly.  Only with the most recent book have I started to think she might have something to recommend her, but for the most part I'd be just as happy if she'd fall off a cliff. :P 

Tried to keep this post spoiler-free, but I can go more in depth if anyone wants to talk about the books. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:50:30 pm by Mike Briggs »
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Fairyfreak

• Grease Monkey
Re: George R.R. Martin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:34:53 pm »
I LOVE the Song of Ice and Fire series!!  Arya is my favorite character, followed by the Hound and Tyrion.  I'm not thrilled with Sansa, but I remind myself that she is very young.  :)  The character that makes me want to dive into the book and slap her is Lady Stark.   ;D  lol...So easy to get sucked into this series.  And I'm also impressed with Martin's integrety to reality by killing characters when they get into deadly situations.  It always annoys me when weird miracles are pulled out at the last minute to save everyone and win the day.  It's gotta be real.  It's what I like about the Mercy series too!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:41:31 pm »
Yeah the lady Stark annoyed me at times too, but I also sympathized with her.  After all, she's relatively powerless and everyone else (the males) can make decisions about her life, I'd be a more than a little bitter too.  Her sister is the one who's a real nutter. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

thehuntress

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:28 am »
It's hard to list favourite characters from this series, because the longer it goes on, the more characters I find to like.  Although, on the whole, I wasn't really that impressed with Feast for Crows.  Probably because I'm really dying to hear more about Jon, Bran and Dany.

Sansa and Cersei are my slap silly candidates.

AnemicOak

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:46:44 am »
Absolutely love this series.  I just wish he'd get the next book done.

My favorite characters change over time, and of course you never know if they'll be alive from one moment to the next.  Sometimes it feels as if no one is safe, which can be good & bad at times.

~Brian

Jule

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
 I love the series too. I really like how complex his characters are, how you can choose who to love or hate. I also really like how there really is no "good" and "evil". Just a lot of people who want revenge or power. Exactly how it should be....  ;)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:54 am »
Yep, all those are reasons why I love those books.  Even someone who you wind up hating at the beginning, like Jaime, winds up growing on you just because he's so damned witty, and a bit tragic.  Have any of you read the graphic novel, the Hedge Knight? (I think that's what it's called)  Wonderful artwork in it.

Jule

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:09:46 pm »
Love Jaime....

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:05:35 pm »
Having just re-read the books released thus far, I have to say I'm not all that sure that he made the right decision with the way he split up Feast of Crows.  He pretty much kept one of my favorite characters and couldn't put all that much for her, since she's not in a position to do much.  I got depressed and bored while reading anything to do with the Ironborn (I honestly think he could have left out those chapters and summed it up with someone getting a raven telling them what happened, or maybe just ONE chapter devoted to them)   and Cersei is so loathsome I felt tainted reading her chapters. She's more necessary that the Ironborn to read about since she's in the middle of things at the capitol, but still. 
   I really wonder if going along with his first idea, "whack the book in half and say 'to be continued...' "  wouldn't have been a better plan after all.

Jule

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:25:56 pm »
 I don't think his publishers allowed him to keep A Dance With Dragons and A Feast for Crows one book; it would have been too long. Nevertheless, I also think that the story suffered because of the splitting. The first three books were spectacular, but A Feast for Crows felt like research. Still a good book, but I'm hoping the next book will be better.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:33:22 pm »
Yeah I'm quite annoyed with the publishers for that too. :P  I would have paid extra  money for a larger book, and I'm sure the vast majority of his fans would have said "yes" to that too, rather than get this (rather boring) book  and have to wait even LONGER for the second part of it.

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:03 am »
I've read a LOT of fantasy books, but I've not let myself get into this series for one reason - GRRM takes too long two write books!! :p I was planning to start the series when the last book came out, but when I heard what people were saying, i thought to myself, ya know, let's just wait a bit longer and not be like all these poor people waiting for the next book to come out. It's bad enough waiting for all the other author's to finish writing, like Patty Briggs, Jim Butcher, and Robert Jordan, without adding another series to the list!! ;)
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:19 pm »
He does have a plan of sorts for the series, I think its going to be 8 books, and we've gotten 4, the 5th MIGHT come out  next year.  Honestly, go ahead and buy 'em, because you'll want to re-read them like I have. ;)  (I've read the first three at least 3 or 4 times already, new things just keep cropping up each time)

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:48:19 pm »
LOL - I bought 'em a few years ago, read the first one, enjoyed it, then stopped when I saw how long it was going to be before the next book was released much less before the series would be completed!! I'll get to them eventually, I'm sure, once the story picks up a bit, which I heard it didn't do in the last book. :p
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

thehuntress

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »
Having just re-read the books released thus far, I have to say I'm not all that sure that he made the right decision with the way he split up Feast of Crows.  He pretty much kept one of my favorite characters and couldn't put all that much for her, since she's not in a position to do much.  I got depressed and bored while reading anything to do with the Ironborn (I honestly think he could have left out those chapters and summed it up with someone getting a raven telling them what happened, or maybe just ONE chapter devoted to them)   and Cersei is so loathsome I felt tainted reading her chapters. She's more necessary that the Ironborn to read about since she's in the middle of things at the capitol, but still. 
   I really wonder if going along with his first idea, "whack the book in half and say 'to be continued...' "  wouldn't have been a better plan after all.

Yeah, pretty much somes up my feelings on that book.  I mean, Jaime's getting more interesting, but I would have loved to have heard more about Arya.  Then pretty much all my other fave characters (Dany, Bran, Jon, Tyrion) were absent.  And now we have to wait forever for another half a book...

Elayne, if you're serious about your books, wait until he (finally) finishes.  That way you'll be able to buy all the books with the same cover.  Hate when they change it half way through on you.  :-\