Author Topic: MaryJanice Davidson  (Read 11140 times)

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
MaryJanice Davidson
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:39:53 am »
I just finished reading the first book in her Undead and... series and I definitely enjoyed it. It's like Sophie Kinsella's shop-a-holic meets Dracula. :D
Despite having an unholy passion for designer shoes, the protagonist isn't stupid and is a smart-mouth and that's what makes her most likable, IMHO. ;D

So, designer shoes Undead anyone? ;D

Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
Re: MaryJanice Davidson
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:58 am »
For the non-shoe addicticed, try The Royal Treatment, about the Crown Prince of Alaska and the love of his life. 

On Undead and ...  Betsy and Eric are good both together and as separate characters, they last thru several books well, although Betsy is much more developed than Eric.  Davidson does enough with the secondary characters to keep the books interesting.  I will say I have gotten the last few from the library, then if I liked that one, gone out and bought it.

She has also done a werewolf series starting in Secrets 6.  The Wyndham pack is fun in a wacky very Davidson way.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:46 am »
I've read the first two in the series, and enjoyed them a lot, too. They're not very demanding, but they're fun and sassy. And it definitely brings you up to date on designer shoes and how-to-deal-with vampire clich├ęs.

And I always LMAO when Betsy's fangs bring out the lisp...
Or her fainting when the sun comes up...
 :D :D

Haven't gotten the next few books, though, because the reviews weren't so good on those.
But I'll have to check out that werewolf series!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:22:57 am »
I'll try to check that series as well, right now I only read the one book (Undead and Unwed) and enjoyed the hell out of it: I'm going to lend it to my sister (who calls her designer shoes and handbags her "little babies") and then see if she realizes that, if not for the fang thing, she's exactly like Betsy... :D She almost beheaded our mother when she borrowed sister's Dior's saddlebag without asking for permission ::)

Snoopy, I'm definitely getting a couple more of the Undead series in september, so I'll let you know how they are after #2 ;) I'm such a book-slut... ::)

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:29:36 am »
Gutter-mind and book-slut... well, there are far worse things you could call yourself. ;D Especially book-slut, I know all about being one of those, too - my TBR pile is at least 20 books high...

But yes, please let me know how they are!! If it's similar to the first two, i'll like it. And we like pretty much the same stuff, so I'll trust your judgement on that.  ;)
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:47:13 am »
Deal. ;D My book-pusher soul is always revealing itself... :D

Shadowdaughter

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:08:14 am »
Read the first four books in that series and liked them, quite funny. I thought of reading the rest, but my bookshelf complaints... not enough space.  :P

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:45:58 am »
I prefer the 3 "Royal" books & the Wyndam Werewolves.  She's also started a series for teens about Jennifer Scales, were-dragon & guardian.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:51:58 am »
I should get the 2nd one, Undead and unemployed, later this week. :) It's part of my 3-weeks-of-doing-nothing-but-read batch of books. ;D I'll try the Wyndam werewolves next time I make an order though, they seemed pretty interesting too: Derik's bane's the first one, right?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:26:48 pm »
I just picked up the newest Undead book at the library today.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 01:06:46 pm »
There's really (as far as I know) only one full book about the WW; the other things featuring them are in collections; they impinge on Betsy & Co.

I do like Garrett, by the by.

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »
I should get the 2nd one, Undead and unemployed, later this week. :) It's part of my 3-weeks-of-doing-nothing-but-read batch of books. ;D I'll try the Wyndam werewolves next time I make an order though, they seemed pretty interesting too: Derik's bane's the first one, right?

I think that's the 2nd, the 1st is Love's Prisoner, on how the Werewolf Alpha met his wife in an elevator...
I read that and, at some point it was.... harsh.... I'll try the rest of the Wyndhams when my TBR pile gets a bit lower and I have at least read Breaking Dawn and re-read Cry Wolf....

all in all, I do enjoy the undead series.... it's funny in a way that makes you laugh no matter where you are reading....

idiotfool

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:15 am »
I've read most of her works and I'm still hooked onto it. :D

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:40 am »
Maz, MJD also has a trilogy (completed, no waiting for sequels!) about a half-mermaid named Fred.  First book is Swimming with the Fishes, and it's hysterical.  I highly recommend the series.
Find what you love and do it!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:09 am »
She has also got her "Wyndham Werewolves" getting even more mixed up with Betsy the vampire queen lately.