Author Topic: German Edition  (Read 8575 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: German Edition
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
Yes, I did grow up in the states (where, yes, we are descended from a bunch of discontents... I'm Irish/British/German and therefore predisposed to be contentious  :D) However, when I was in Australia and even Japan, I found the houses (single building structures, I'm not including apartments or condos and so on here) on par with my own home in America, although styled differently according to the local climate and tradition.  More apartments in Japan, certainly, and each dwelling houses extended family, too, so per person there tends to be less space, but the buildings are still generally the same size. 
In Ecuador, there were many very small homes, but mostly in the slums or in rural areas (most striking memory of the coastal region was coming across a brand new John Deere harvester, sitting unused, dwarfing the tiny shack that was the farmers' home... while half a dozen men on horseback worked the fields).  The European-style housing tended to be much bigger, though obviously that's working in a completely different economic bracket. 
I've never been to Europe, though, so I can't compare there. 

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 12:09:40 am »
to me, a trailer is big enough to be a permanent dwelling, as you said kyria...

sometimes it's hard to find a proper translation,... when things are tied to a country's culture/tradition for instance.

in central europe you either live in a house or in an apartment. living in a trailer is practically unheard of.

GW  WK  WH

Darcia

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 04:47:19 am »
just to make sure, I thought Mercy's home looks kinda like this one (except for colour, surroundings ans so on)

I think I would call it "Bungalow", I think.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 05:41:40 am »
Looks like those container buildings work crews use.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 07:08:30 am »
That's the kind I was thinking of too, far larger than a "caravan" type "trailer".  And yes, the kind that is used at building sites.  Those come in different sizes too; the one Patty & Mike bought to use for her office & storing the Store merchandise is the small type.  For a skyscraper or a whole mall or "industrial park", they'd have something this size, probably.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
To whoever started this thread: Thank You! I am having a person stay with me who is from Germany and she wants to read the series, but there are to big of words( laugh, Germans and big words are like cookies and milk) So now I can just get the German version. How do I order it?
Howl more, whine less

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 01:21:55 pm »
I would suggest Amazon.de or they might have it in the US or British Amazon.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
You could also check at Barnes & Noble; the one where I worked had a small foreign language section.  And they might be able to order it too.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 08:54:29 pm »
If I remember right, I got it via amazon by searching for 'Ruf des Mondes Patricia Briggs' and then I ordered through one of the affiliate sellers.  I don't think I could find it on B&N.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 03:31:33 pm »
Thanks I'll have to get on Amazon then. she is really into the whole vampire/werewolf/fae thing. Glad to know we have something in common though :)
Howl more, whine less