Author Topic: question about Bone Crossed book format  (Read 5044 times)

danceswithwaves

• Tool Wrangler
question about Bone Crossed book format
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:22:23 am »
As my first post here, I'm going to express my fan-girl-ness and say how I absolutely love the Mercy series (lovelovelove) and the Charles and Anna books.  I picked up Cry Wolf yesterday and read it in two days, only because I forced myself to go to bed at a semi-reasonable hour.  And I'm probably going to reread it within the next few days.

At the end of the book there's a sneak peak of Bone Crossed which I also loved and now cannot wait for February to roll around.  But I noticed before the preview it says "available in hardcover February..." which is different than how the books have been coming out.  Do you know if the first edition of Bone Crossed will be hardcover or paperback like usual? 

I'm kind of compulsive with book series, as in I like them all to be in the same format.  But if it comes out in hardback first, I don't know that I'll be able to make myself wait for paperback.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:50:59 pm by Elle »
“Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.”
~John LeCarre

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: question about Bone Crossed book format
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:58 pm »
Hi danceswithwaves ;D
Welcome to the boards-
Bone Crossed will make its debut as a hard cover in the US due to the success of the series the publisher decided to change the format of the books.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

danceswithwaves

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »
I've been shadowing the forum for a while, and finally decided to add my insane ramblings to the mix join in.

*growl*  Well, at least I have time to figure out what I'm going to do about it.  Will the paperback then come out a few months later, or a full year later?  (I'm betting on a full year, as that's normally what happens, but that means I definitely can't wait.)
“Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.”
~John LeCarre

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:24:22 pm »
I'm glad you decided to join- most of us have the insane rambling gene- and sanity is overated lol

I dont know when the paperback will come out- probably 6 months to a year. Patty or Mike are the ones to answer that. But the UK will have a paperback edition that will come out the same time as the US edition- you could get it via a seller/ebay/abebooks but the covers pale to the US ones.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:26:38 pm by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

kitcat

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:48 am »
I too am disappointed to see hardcover first.  I hope my library will have it.  If so, I can then wait for paperback to buy it without having to wait a year to read it.   :(

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52:58 am »
Hi, KitKat!  Put in the reserve request now.  They won't know it's wanted if we don't tell them, right?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

danceswithwaves

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »
But the UK will have a paperback edition that will come out the same time as the US edition- you could get it via a seller/ebay/abebooks but the covers pale to the US ones.

Well, if they're the same size as the US paperbacks, and the shipping doesn't hike the price too much, I might buy from the UK, despite less awesome covers.  I've seriously been saying to myself over the past few days: "Maybe I'll just buy the hardback when it comes out, and then the paperback.  Wait a minute, am I seriously that compulsive?"  I did consider requesting at the library, but I'm going to be on exchange in Seattle for college next year and don't know the library system (yet) -- though that is still an option.  Or I'll just buy hardback and not have a matching book series and screw my compulsiveness, I do have other series where the books don't all match (though admittedly not many...I believe I'm starting to understand what Adam feels like with Mercy's car out his window :D).
~John LeCarre

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:28:35 pm »
Hardcovers hold up up better for those of us who are obsessive-compulsive re-readers. Why is every time a new book comes out, all of the previous books must be re-read.   This will be very time consuming when all of the books for which Patty is contracted are finished.      :D

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:39 am »
Honestly, if it were my money, I'd probably wait for paperback . . . or borrow it from the library.

That sounds like something my brother would say. :) So simple, and jet so complicated! ;D
I could borrow it from the library but depending how many copies they have ill have to wait for it. then what happens when i wanna re-read it but i have to return it .
Normally for a best seling hardcover to be re-released in paperback format it takes 6 months to a year. I'm sorry i cant do that! lolz i can just imagine myself trying to hold back at barnes and noble.  ::) ;D ;D You have to understand that i go into that bookstore several times a week to buy a new book or just to stroll the isles looking for a new author to read. i would have to fight tempation several time a week for about 45min each time. my will power is not high when it comes to books.

Im sorry Mr. & Mrs. Briggs you'll just have to put up with me giving you my money.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
For series books, it seems really popular to release the paperback version a few weeks to a month before the next hardcover in the series comes out - if the next book is coming out within a year or so.    This has frequently  been the case with Cherryh's Foreigner series and Scalzi's Old Man's War series and a  lot of other genre series.

ceruleangem

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:14 pm »
I've worked at Barnes and Nobles for almost ten years and I can tell you that the paperback editions tend to come out 9 to 12 months after the hardcover. There have been special cases in which it has taken longer. The Da Vinci Code is an example of this. It was on the bestseller list for so long the publishers were not going to release it until it stayed off for 6 to 9 months but ended up releasing the tradepaper and mass market editions right before the movie hit theathers.

While I don't mind hardcovers(and will probably buy Bone Crossed when it first comes out), I like to have the series in matching formats. Do you know if the publishers will go back and release the older books in hardcover, kinda like what happened with Kim Harrison's older titles?