Author Topic: Genre Expectations and conventions.  (Read 23026 times)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Genre Expectations and conventions.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 02:53:02 am »
I dode it all the time
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 08:48:35 am »
The corporate executives have already decreed how they'll be sorted & put out.  What we have to do is sort through the sub-divisions they have decreed, and displays to find what we want.  I've had times I've had to range through two floors and one end to the other of a store to find the book I wanted.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:33 am »
corprate marketing pukes make the disicions
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Garfield

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 12:44:06 pm »
Uhm, I am not sure that is how it works ... Sure, every book has a certain genre, or more than one even. But from my experience clerks in book store are hardly ever able to tell them apart. Even when there is a fantasy and a sf area the books are always mixed up in a way that makes absolutely no sense to anyone!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »
Well, from when I worked at B&N a couple of years ago, it was put into the PDT where you were supposed to shelve the book.  The clerk doesn't have a say in it.
Sole exception is that if there's a 'staff recommends' shelf, they can be there too.

Readsalot81

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 08:05:47 am »
Such a good topic!

I've only been reading sci/fi / fantasy for about the last few years, so I'm hardly expert at what I'd expect the genre to be, but IMO, when I read that genre, I expect action, mystery, and things that go bump in the night. Not so much romance.

It's not to say I mind when a relationship develops, but it has to be only a part of the story, not the whole banana. If I wanted to read" You bad, me good, Let's bone,"  well I'd *saunter* on down to the romance aisle.

Patty and a few others do this extremely well. When I pick up one of her books, I like knowing that it's there (the relationship factor) but mainly my train of thought is "well what has mercy blundered onto now and how is she going to fix it?"

Happy endings are par for the course in romance. Its the staple. With science fiction, you have the option of leaving things open a bit more if you will. And the people tend not to be such a cliche. Good people do bad things, and even bad people can do good things with honorable intentions. 

*shrug* Just my two cents.

lol@ the book mixing.  Here at Borders, they just toss science fiction/fantasy onto 3 shelves. Good luck grasshopper in finding your book.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:25:48 am »
Only 3 shelves? My store has more than three for NEW Sci-Fi/Fantasy, plus lot's more for the older stuff.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 09:32:56 am »
Personally, the type of expectation defiance decides if I'll like it or not.  In reading the Death Gate Cycle, I spent the first few books convinced I was reading an alternate world fantasy--and then a specific nutty character references Pern.  (It's actually a sci-fi series, sort of.)  The book had a reason for it and explained it well, so I liked it very much.

But if a book takes an unexpected twist into something I don't like anyway--say, a character starts blaspheming all the time--I'll ditch it.  And if I wanted to read a steamy sex scene, I'd browse the romance section.    :-\

I liked Twilight, myself, because I recognized what it was from the start.  It actually surpassed my expectations, which I'll confess were pretty darn low.  Ms. Meyer actually let her plot go in routes that she knew would infuriate her intended audience rather than try to force the characters into something else, and I respect her for that.

Though I do like the formula sometimes, I do get tired of seeing it too often.  So I make sure to tweak formulas' noses in what I write.  :-whistle

EDIT: and my absolute FAVORITE books tend to be genre mixes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:34:35 am by Carradee »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
wait a sec, are you saying you go to a book store and sort the books there?

You mean you don't?  :o  ;)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Garfield

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 04:15:22 pm »
You'd have to see how bad they mess it up to understand. Besides we have about 12 or so shelves for fantasy only her, and then I think maybe half that for sf. It would take me hours to put some kind of order in there, and they'd just mess it up again as soon as new books arrive!

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 01:52:45 am »
...And if I wanted to read a steamy sex scene, I'd browse the romance section.    :-\
Never understood that connection, I'm afraid the brunt of romance novels would end up in the erotica corner if I had a bookstore.  LOL

Haven't been in bookstore for too long a time though, but visiting the city has become far to expensive. I always end up having to pay nigh as much or more for parking than I spend on books.  *shock*
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 06:26:55 am »
That's horrible, Gerd!  Any chance of a train or bus in instead?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 11:02:31 am »
I must admit I haven't entered a train since I left the Army (free transport :)), never been in favour of public transport.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 12:10:32 pm »
Is better than paying enormous amounts for parking though. :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »
I just read 2 novelettes or novellas that were free offers from the writer, and I'm glad I didn't pay for them.  The expectation of the Regency Romance is that there is some difficulty in the couple wedding each other, whether one is too poor, or the wrong social class, or they're betrothed to someone else, or there's a scandal.
The first of these was "they were childhood friends, then she heard him (he would have been about 14 at the time) sneer at her to a slightly older boy, so she never went near him for 10 years. Now he walks in, dances with her twice, and tells her he's loved her since their childhood, he was just trying to impress the older boy. She forgives him, they're married about 25 years then he dies."

The second was "he danced with the pretty younger sister, then started noticing the 'on the shelf sister' decided to court her. His sister is almost compromised by a rake, but the gal he's fallen for interrupts it, with the pretty sister. Pretty sister says "repudate him or I'll tell the world she was compromised by the rake". His sister realizes this and forces the elder of the courted sisters to admit it, then shoves her and brother together."  The end.

I finished reading both of these masterpieces in under 90 minutes.  Bah.