Author Topic: Mechanic Mercy and Minis  (Read 6609 times)

LadyErehwon

• Tool Wrangler
  • No one else is going to enjoy your life for you.
Mechanic Mercy and Minis
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:54:47 am »
I wondered aloud (on-screen) about this earlier, but never did anything about it, so I thought I would now. 

Would Mercy work on any Mini Coopers (or Clubmans since they just came out)?

Mini is now owned by BMW, and the only Mini dealership in Washington is in Tacoma. The only other dealership in the Pacific Northwest is in Portland, so any Mini owners in or visiting the Tri-Cities would have to have a local mechanic for non-warranty issues.  And, since the first modern Mini’s in the US debuted in 2003, the warranty period is finished for any of the trend-setters. 

So, mainly an idle thought, but something I’d love to see happen!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:45:30 pm by Elle »

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Mechanic Mercy and Minis
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:27:44 am »
funny idea ;)

I think maybe she would work on it, but since the mini generally is built in a different way than most german cars it would not be totally in her field of expertise ;)

GW  WK  WH

Gadget100

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:00 am »
Would Mercy work on any Mini Coopers (or Clubmans since they just came out)?

In Moon Called, Mercy agrees to work on a Buick for Sylvia Sandoval (Tony's girlfriend and Gabriel's mother).  Although Zee ended up actualy doign the work/magic.

As I read it, Mercy's general philosophy of life doesn't' preclude her working on cars other than VWs.  She just isn't as familiar with non VWs.  In the above mentioned case, she explained that it would probably take longer and be more expensive than if it were a VW, but that she would go ahead and give it a try.

Patty will have to tell us if there is some reason that Mercy won't work on a Mini Cooper, but from what I've read, I don't' see any reason why she would refuse to work on one with out a good reason.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:40:34 am »
Mercy did tell (I think Tony?) that she didn't have the computers to run the diagnostics on cars like Buicks, so I guess it would probably come down to whether or not Mercy had the right equipment to deal with a Mini.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Gadget100

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »
Mercy did tell (I think Tony?) that she didn't have the computers to run the diagnostics on cars like Buicks, so I guess it would probably come down to whether or not Mercy had the right equipment to deal with a Mini.

That's a good point.  I had forgotten that part.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 03:43:33 am »
Well, Mercy's also agreed to take care of the Seethe's cars in lieu of payment to them, and the Seethe's favorite cars are Beemers (aside from Stephan's). So, I'm thinking that if she can deal with BMWs, the diagnostics for Minis should be the same, since they're too built by BMW. :) But then, I'm not exactly an expert, so I might very and truly be wrong... ::) ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:42 am »
And ones built before the takeover wouldn't be off the same computers & whatnot.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:43:15 pm »
This is another case in which y'all answered the question as well as I could have.  If I put a Mini in the books, I'll call the dealership, speak to their mechanics and get the real answers before Mercy plays . . . hmm Mini Coopers are cute.
Patty