Author Topic: A glimpse into the future of Mercy’s world  (Read 8321 times)

obsidianshark

• Tool Wrangler
  • SPOONE!!!!!!!!!!!
A glimpse into the future of Mercy’s world
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:27:07 pm »
We have all read about the struggles of the supernatural creatures to fit in and live in peace with humanity. What would Mercy’s world be like, fifty to a hundred years from now? Do you think that humanity would fall back to old fears of darker times and eradicate all supernatural creatures? Or, would humanity finally, and probably at great cost of life for everybody, accept them into society.  If accepted, how would it look like?
What are the jobs that they may have? Given the same rights that govern us, how does that affect the werewolves, the fae, vampires and any other supernaturals out there? Take a glimpse into the future of Mercy’s world and tell me what you see.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: A glimpse into the future of Mercy’s world
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »
Wow, this is a real challenge!  Given that they're already on reservations in the US, in spite of Political Correctness & so forth, which way will the public & government sway over the next half century?  Especially as science makes it so much harder to hide any hint of the supernatural.  I can (unfortunately) see 'registration', which is already in effect for known fae, being extended to weres.  Depending on how soon the information that there are other things going bump in the night comes out, I could see manditory gene testing before children could go to school, before immigrants are allowed in, before passports are issued.  I can look at the possibilities of courts having huge backlogs of cases being re-tried on the grounds that one or more participants were fae of some sort, if you broaden the definition (for the sake of speed in typing, if nothing else) to include were, vamps, & walkers, along with whatever else we don't know about yet.  And more cases being brought for anti-discrimination purposes, fighting the possibly draconian anti-fae laws.
I can see some arms of various levels of government going "Duh, I could get more done if I had ________ in my department!" and actively recruiting werewolves, among others, although they might still be second class citizens.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Granite Owl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:58:18 am »
I see two distinct possibilities.  The first being the creation of a collection of races comprising second class citizens within our country, and the other countries of the world. The second, being a battle of of intelligence and assassinations. No where in our history have we given full rights to any group without a battle of some sort. Even the suffrage movement had its battles, and that was something as simple as a getting the right to vote. Not a right to live freely without hiding who you are.

With the ever changing government of the US, even a specialized selection of assasinations, and elevation of other more like-minded individuals into  positions of power wouldn't be enough to secure the position of weres or fea for long.  The Spanish inquisition ran for over 400 years through ever changing governments, popes, and other wars. Even now, the idea of a "witch" causes organized religions concern.  I belive the incorporation of known were's and fea into mainstream soceity would be a similar situation, but hopefully with a different outcome. The battle would be on a religious front as well as a secular one, and it would be a hard one to win. If organized religions ostracize people for their belief's in magic, what would the churches do with magic beings thrust firmly into their laps.  I think an inquisition would start all over again. 

But I for one, would be on the side of the fea, were's and vampires. At least as displayed in these books. <grin>

Owl

Timesdragonfly

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:25:12 pm »
Great question!! :)

I would bet that you would end up with countries or even states with different laws and different levels of acceptance. The magical creatures would flock to the more tolerant areas, which would then become even more tolerant to reflect the beliefs of the population. Some countries would go all genocide while others would welcome refugees. It would be WAY intense! In the US, I think some states would be more tolerant of wares, fay, and vamps than others.

Everywhere, there would be picketing and rallies and assassinations and all the same upheaval you get any other time there is a large shift in public opinion.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:45:20 pm »
There could also be places that are initially tolerant, but when they get a lot of refugees the tide turns the other way, too.

obsidianshark

• Tool Wrangler
  • SPOONE!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:33:02 am »
The hardest part for the supernatural folk is the coming out phase. I would guess it would be a mesh of early civil rights violence and the shock of celebrities coming out to the public that they’re gay. Once the cards hit the table it will be a PR’s worst nightmare. I’m sure the government would spend plenty of our tax dollars to campaign for their rights and to show the public how safe they are, like the duck and cover films during the 40s or 50s. Also the government would learn, one way or the other, how to deal with what ever supernatural creature that it feels is a threat, like all of them. As a show of good faith they would recruit them for public jobs. Imagine a shape shifting cop, a witch in the CSI labs or a vampire teaching history at some big name collage. The government would still offer them a place to live if they wish to separate them selves. The public schools, from pre-k to high school, will most likely have to be segregated.
I know what you’re saying; “That’s not right. What about their rights?” but could or would you let your kid walk into a room fill with children packing heat, even if they are trained how to use them? Probably not, unless your from Texas, and don’t even try to say you would be different cause some of you are not parents, God willing none of you are teenaged pregers, or not looking at the bigger picture. They would have to keep them separated for safety, imagine a six year old wolf boy throwing a fit, and monetary reasons. The cost of insurance would be high.
Anyway…on top of recruiting for public, there are the unseen jobs. The cream of the crop would be thrown into service for the military and other government agencies. The military would find their strength and weakness and apply them to their job. This would probably happen years before any supernatural ever came out to the public. They might even try to stop them from exposing them selves to the public. Why tell a great secret? The longer they keep hidden the greater the advantages. Eventually the fighting will lessen but will not go away and we would finally accept them, cautiously thou. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:44:51 am by obsidianshark »

bengrenell

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:06:23 am »
It is nearly impossible to predict the future of Mercy's world but you might have a better idea of what a corner of it might look like. The United States has a constitution which can be amended if enough States ratify the amendment so there is at least a potential there for protection under the law. OTOH we don't know what the future of certain countries will be , especially so-called third world nations. If their futures are just an extension of the present then it would look bleak for anyone who did not fit societal norms. Of course some of those countries should become democratic and perhaps will include all groups of beings under civil rights laws.

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 02:00:29 pm »
Or if the local other creatures have plenty funds/good business talent you could end up with a small were/fae/vampires state somewhere in old Russian/eastern Europe or African territory. Pick a place out of the way of oil, ores, strategic places, etc. and there is a big chance of being left alone.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 08:20:35 pm »
Great question!! :)

I would bet that you would end up with countries or even states with different laws and different levels of acceptance. The magical creatures would flock to the more tolerant areas, which would then become even more tolerant to reflect the beliefs of the population. Some countries would go all genocide while others would welcome refugees. It would be WAY intense! In the US, I think some states would be more tolerant of wares, fay, and vamps than others.

Everywhere, there would be picketing and rallies and assassinations and all the same upheaval you get any other time there is a large shift in public opinion.

Wow, who nailed it 8 years ago?  And we've seen variations on many of the other posts in this thread, too, haven't we?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 04:56:37 am »
Indeed!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:44 am »
Not that this is anything like what's happening in current events, of course.  :-whistle