Author Topic: Is there a sequel?  (Read 20123 times)

jaxon

Is there a sequel?
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:48:50 pm »
I just finished reading When Demons Walk and I have to know...is there a sequel?  I want to know more about Sham and Kerim.  Do they get together?  Is there more to their story?  I need more people!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Is there a sequel?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:01:46 pm »
Alas, not yet.  And not for some time to come.
Essentially, Our Hostess is contracted for more than half a dozen books ahead in the Mercy Thompson world.  Next after the Mercy or the Anna & Charles stories is a sequel to "Masques", which is in the same world as "Steal the Dragon" & "When Demons Walk."  After that, we don't know.  Hopefully there are things percolating in the back of her mind.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:48:10 pm »
D: I just read When demons Walk with that lovely new cover, and I want a sequel too! :(

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »
I have come to the happy conclusion that Patricia Briggs simply cannot write a bad book! When Demons Walk is a delight and I enjoyed it enormously. I also would love to see more of Shem and Kerim.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:07:07 pm »
After reading and enjoying  Patricia's Mercy Thompson books, I decided to check out some of her other work and started with When Demons Walk.  Its very different style than the Mercy Thompson books but I really enjoyed it, too.  It reminded me of a classic Andre Norton story (which I consider high praise, as Ms. Norton was one of the authors that hooked me on fantasy and SF back when I was a teen).  :D

I understant Ms. Briggs is pretty booked up with the Mercy Thompson series (and I am looking forward to those, too!) but you can include me in a list of people who would like to see a sequel to When Demons Walk.    ;)
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:07 pm »
Welcome, Mdauben!  Yes, many of us want to return to any/all the characters and settings of the Sianam world.

Help would be finding a 40-200 acre property with a livable house somewhere near the Tri-Cities in Washington for an -affordable price, available before - oh, I believe the snow starts flying in mid-late September in Montana.

And help moving the people & animals there.

I joke.

I think I joke. . . ?

mdauben

• Tinker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:44:38 am »
Welcome, Mdauben! 

Thanks, Patti!  ;D

Help would be finding a 40-200 acre property with a livable house somewhere near the Tri-Cities in Washington

Washington state?  If I did have a line on such a place, I would probably be there myself instead of swealtering in the 90+ degree heat of Alabama like I am.   :D
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:34:01 am »
Lol!   Well, to be honest we're looking at moving to the "Dry Side" of Washington.   Patti L and others live in the "Duck Lands"  of the west, where the ocean breezes waft gently over the land, bringing abundant moisture.  No, really, abundant.  As in rainforest.   About halfway across the state, however, a remarkable transformation occurs.  As the clouds lift over various mountains they drop their moisture, and over just a hundred miles or so the terrain goes from coastal rain forest to rain-shadow desert.  Hot, dry lands filled with sagebrush and tumbleweeds.   All of our friends live on THAT side of the state, so we're going there.

The good news, for us, is that after LOTS of wrangling and negotiating it looks like we're buying what we've affectionately dubbed "The Hippy House".   I'll believe it when the ink on the contracts is dry, but supposedly closing is in ten days.

Enough about our housing issues (sigh).   I don't know that Patty will ever get a chance to go back to the Sianim stories, but it's impossible to say for sure.  I know she's under contract for several more werewolf books, so she'll be writing those for the next three years or so.   Then she's got some ideas for another hurog book.  She also has several ideas for entirely new books/series she'd like to write.   

One of the problems with writing is that ideas are quick, but crafting a decent book takes time.   It seems like every convention we go to, some eager person approaches Patty with a pitch like, "I've got a wonderful idea for a story.  Now I'll tell it to you, you write the book, and we'll split the profits."   Sadly, while they may have tremendous, creative and very workable ideas, the reality is that it just takes too long to turn them into a book.  Usually, while writing one book, Patty will have ideas for three or four more books she'd like to write. 
Where's my super-suit?

mdauben

• Tinker
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:00:59 pm »
I don't know that Patty will ever get a chance to go back to the Sianim stories, but it's impossible to say for sure.   

Certainly understandable.  If someone is writing as a professional they need to go where the money is, and it seems obvious that the Mercy Thompson books are more commercially successful than the Sianim books.   I can't really complain, since I like the Mercy Thompson books, too. 

I suppose as much as anything, the post was just ment as a way to let Patty know that if she has the time and incination to revisit the characters from When Demons Walk, that there are fans ready to buy the book.   ;)
Mike

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:15:39 pm »
Oh, oh!  What he said, what he said!!

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »
The wonderful thing about the well deserved success of Mercy, however, is that it rekindles interest in Patti's really terrific earlier works. I can not remember when I have been as enchanted with new characters as I was with When Demons Walk. I must confess, I had almost not bought the book because I was not too enticed by the title! I would have missed a treat. I certainly hope that one day there will be a revisit. In the meantime, I will just have to build my own mind castles for Shem and Kerim.  ;)

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »
Ditto. I think that I've already said somewhere that this is one of my favorites, and is just crying out to be continued.  What WAS going on out at the hotsprings...................?

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:39 pm »
...and what happened in that bedroom after the kiss?  ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:58:38 pm »
Yeah, . . . .   No mom with a pink glock to interrupt there!

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:31:48 pm »
And please more about the Shark.  ( I keep wondering if he was one  of the king's sons who was out at sea during the invasion and so escaped the massacre?

Summer Rose

• Tool Wrangler
  • Waiting for something amazing...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:12:08 am »
And please more about the Shark.  ( I keep wondering if he was one  of the king's sons who was out at sea during the invasion and so escaped the massacre?

I got the impression that Shark was Sham's brother or something...I remember something being said that his dad was Captain of the Guard and Sham's was as well.  Maybe I'm just reading too much into it though...

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 11:29:08 am »
ooh... sham's brother. I kept wondering what the connection between them was...

Summer Rose

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 11:31:42 am »
Once I read that line a light bulb clicked in my head.  It was the only explanation I could come up with for them to know each other so well.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »
I never noticed that line... Perfect excuse to reread!

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:32:40 am »
Never saw that idea in multiple rereads. My impression was that Sham was an 'only'.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 11:22:02 am »
Me too, pence.  I always figured they had just gotten to know each other through random encounters.

Summer Rose

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:06 am »
maybe they did...like I said I probably read more into that one line then Patty meant. =]

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 09:32:45 am »
My opinion was that they're not related by blood, but by having come seriously down in the world since the invasion.

For what it's worth.

starbane

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
This has been another terrific read. I really hope Ms. Briggs gets a chance to bedazzle us with the further adventures of "Lady" Shemera and friends.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 07:27:16 pm »
I just finished reading When Demons Walk and I have to know...is there a sequel?  I want to know more about Sham and Kerim.  Do they get together?  Is there more to their story?  I need more people!

Me too! :)
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.