Author Topic: Douglas Adams  (Read 11287 times)

jenglows

Douglas Adams
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:11 pm »
For me, no list of SciFi/Fantasy is complete with out mention of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  The first book to make me actually laugh out loud... to the distress of my middle school teachers ;)

Jazzlet

Re: Douglas Adams
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:59 am »
I still remember the joy of listening to the first radio series here in the UK (before the books had come out) while doing the washing up after dinner and the laughing out loud, especially at the white mice  :D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:53:18 pm »
I wish I'd been able to hear the radio shows

jenglows

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:50:13 pm »
They were fantastic!  I read the books first, but really enjoyed them. ;D I had copies of them on cassette tape (yuck) in college, and I have no idea where they are now - which doesn't much matter because I don't own a tape player anymore ;)

CharityPink

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:08:52 pm »
I have the UK radio versions on cassette tape, and I loved listening to them when I had a long drive to visit relatives.  The only problem is now I don't have a cassette player!!  I so wish I could find them on CD!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 12:32:57 pm »
I'll be glad to take them off your hands. *wide grin* I still have mine.

Jazzlet

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:35 am »
Peter Jones as 'Marvin the Paranoid Android', brilliant just brilliant.....

jenglows

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:52:40 pm »
I'll be glad to take them off your hands. *wide grin* I still have mine.
  I used to have these too, but I ditched them in a mad "clutter cleaning" years ago because I didn't have a tape player.  What a mistake!  Now my daughter has a cute little radio/cassette player in her room for books on tape from the library and she would get a kick out of them.  Wish i still had them...

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 02:00:43 pm »
I love Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers books, but my favorite books are actually Dirk Gently's Wholistic Detective Agency and Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:43:52 pm »
Now I loved the Hitchhiker books but just couldn't get into the Dirk Gently books.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:19 pm »
I didn't get into The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, but I did enjoy one of the Dirk Gently books.

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:31 am »
Just been on the Penguin website, Eoin Colfer is producing book 6 of the Trilogy for the 30th Anniversary of Hitchhikers Guide -publishing date is 12th October 09. I have mixed feelings about someone else doing a book, but not enough to stop me buying it when it appears.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:15 pm »
I read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy in high school. My school Library had them so I took them out and read them. Whenever someone asks me or I am in a discussion involving the meaning of life my answer is still 42. ;D

Good books with great jokes. I wish he could have been around a little longer to write some more. I will most likely take a look at the new book coming out by Eoin Colfer.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »
Happy Towel Day everyone!

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 01:58:18 pm »
Happy Towel Day :D

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy