Author Topic: Terry Pratchett  (Read 35985 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Terry Pratchett
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 09:29:09 am »
I've been meaning to try these books for a long time, but am never sure which ones to pick up first. Any suggestions?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »
The first two are 'The Color of Magic' & 'The Light Fantastic', although I never remember in which order for sure.  You don't absolutely have to read them first, but there is a loose order to the books, timewise.  There are three main groupings.
The Ahnk-Morpork stories, revolving around either the wizards at Unseen University or the city watch, particularly the oddballs in the Night Watch.
The Death series, revolving around, yes Death, and his grand daughter Susan.
The Lancre Witches stories, revolving around Granny Weatherwax & the half- um, half-baked coven she runs with in the tiny mountain kingdom of Lancre.
There are other volumes, sort of one-offs, or offshoots, like 'Sourcery', 'Moving Pictures', and 'Pyramids'.  If you'd like to try just one that doesn't depend too heavily on any of the others, I'd recommend that one.
There are three- no, four, now, that are usually filed in teen or YA.  3 feature a young witch in training named Tiffany Aching, the other, 'Maurice & His Amazing Educated Rodents' is another stand alone, although it makes reference to the wizards college.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 03:32:04 pm »
I got Going Postal for me b-day. I started it today, but haven't gotten very far. Love it already.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 08:23:27 pm »
I've been meaning to try these books for a long time, but am never sure which ones to pick up first. Any suggestions?
I started with Light Fantastic (which is the second book) and got hooked. Like Patti said, the books don't necessarily need to be read in their publishing order, but I suggest you should one of these first (they're the first books of each groupings and a good introduction):

Color of Magic or Light Fantastic (Rincewind/Twoflower/Luggage)
Equal Rites (Granny Weatherwax)
Mort (Death)
Guards! Guards! (City Watch)

Check out Discworld's Wikipedia page for more information.
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Taranis

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »
The first experience I had with Terry Pratchett was the Bromeliad trilogy which I absolutely love!  After that I heard about Discworld and was interested in finding the first one in the series but for the life of me could not find out what it was called!  (How pathetic is that?)  I only found it very recently and I laughed my socks AND shoes off!  The only other one I've been able to find is Guards! Guards! but I am definitely going to devour the whole series!  I'v never encountered an author quite like Pratchett, although Clayton Emery has written some decent stuff.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 09:58:49 pm »
I'm with you on that- he is extraordinary. While some of the Discworld books aren't outstanding, most of them are, and considering that he's already written 30+ of them that is an amazing achievement. Usually, long-running series tend to get boring after a while, but that doesn't apply here. I love how he always finds new things to poke good-humored fun at.

Jazzlet

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 02:12:35 am »
Pratchett does indeed find new things to poke fun at, however I think that as with many prolific authors one gets the best out of his books if you do not read them one after another, otherwise they can be a bit samey. Not bad at all, just not as funny as expected. Reading other authors in between Pratchetts re-sets some internal laughter synapse  ???

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 03:28:14 am »
Good point, Jazzlet.  I don't encounter that with Pratchett, but do with some other authors.  I read the whole of one of George Carlin's books (I think it was 'Silly Putty and Napalm) in one go.  He's still funny, in 'concert' sized doses, but if you read the whole one of his books at once he comes across as mean.  Much better to break it up.  The darwin awards books recommend right at the beginnings that you not read more than two or three of their citations at once, for much the same reason.  And since they're from life, not fiction, that can get depressing.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 03:50:31 am »
Pratchett does indeed find new things to poke fun at, however I think that as with many prolific authors one gets the best out of his books if you do not read them one after another, otherwise they can be a bit samey. Not bad at all, just not as funny as expected. Reading other authors in between Pratchetts re-sets some internal laughter synapse  ???
Definitely. Read two books in a row and it's all same-old-same-old. Not because the stories are similar, but the style is. Too much of a good thing... It's much better to make a break of a few months between each Pratchett, this was you can really enjoy it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 06:42:14 pm »
Different people have different tolerances, as Collaroy & I prove.  I can re-read three or four of these in a row & enjoy it.  She needs months between doses.  But you still have to watch out for the Them.
Millenium hand and shrimp! ;D

Taranis

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »
I'm soooo frustrated!! :-[  I can't seem to find any Pratchett Books ANYWHERE!!!!!  After I read The Colour of Magic I was ready to dive right into the next one (as soon as I could find one!) so I'll have to agree with Patti.  Although I haven't had a chance to test my Discworld Endurance, I don't think I'll get tired any time soon.  Pratchett, whatever the subject matter, is just a joy to read!  Very creative!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:35 pm »
That seriously produces vacuum, Taranis (sucks, the expensive version ;D).  Don't forget to ask the librarians & booksellers to check all over.  Childrens (the Bromilead, the Johnny Maxwell trilogy), Teen/young adult (Maurice & His Amazing Educated Rodents, the Tiffany Aching books) AND non-fiction (the Unadulterated Cat, another co-written one [LOL at the 'villian's cat']) and even Art for The Last Hero, starring Cohen the Barbarian & The Silver Horde.  And who knows where they'd shelve the Unseen University Challange (Discworld trivia challange) and Nanny Ogg's recepie book, which MAY go by the title 'The Joye of Snacks'.
Oh, and 'Good Omens' may be shelved under Neil Gaiman's name only.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 07:49:34 pm »
"Good Omens" SHOULD be filed under both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, they made two different covers (one white with black text, the other the opposite) that has one author on top, and on the other the opposite again.  ;)
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 08:01:39 pm »
I'm soooo frustrated!! :-[  I can't seem to find any Pratchett Books ANYWHERE!!!!!  After I read The Colour of Magic I was ready to dive right into the next one (as soon as I could find one!) so I'll have to agree with Patti.  Although I haven't had a chance to test my Discworld Endurance, I don't think I'll get tired any time soon.  Pratchett, whatever the subject matter, is just a joy to read!  Very creative!
That's really weird- in Germany you have at least some Pratchetts in even the smallest book stores. Well, you can always try Amazon if your book stores can't satisfy your craving. Oh, and since you read The Colour of Magic you probably should read The Light Fantastic, it's Colour's direct sequel (picks right up where it ended).

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 08:07:10 pm »
Yes, that was taking the term 'cliffhanger' to extremes, & needs resolution.

I hadn't noticed that the positive/negative images had different authors listed first, more that 1 had the angel on front, demon on back, & the other the opposite way around on the Good Omens covers.  Kewl, as the saying has it. 8)