Author Topic: Terry Pratchett  (Read 33035 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Terry Pratchett
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 01:53:46 pm »
The one right before the last continent was my favorite with the luggage. I can't remember the name right now though.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:22 pm »
Alright, you guys got me. I am now going to have to hurry through the book and go camp on my friends porch until she gives me he next book.  ;D
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 09:31:41 am »
The one right before the last continent was my favorite with the luggage. I can't remember the name right now though.
That would be Interesting Times- it's making fun of Communism and China. My favourite as well- I laughed out loud through most of the book, which was pretty annoying to everybody within earshot. ;)
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 11:26:15 am »
Yeah, that was it. *nodnod*

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 02:01:04 pm »
who else here is an Eroll the farting swamp dragon fan?
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 04:19:17 pm »
No no no, Errol didn't fart, he used his flame like a jet engine to fly backwards.  And while I enjoyed him, I'm glad to have him & his mate far, far away. 
I can't decide if I like the Librarian best, or Granny Weatherwax.  And I do like Agnes, I'm looking forward to her having more appearances.  In fact, now that I think about it, I'd like to see her & Tiffany have an adventure together.  ;D ;D ;D
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 07:39:23 pm »
I like it that Agnes is a singer. And I love Nanny's philosophy that Music and magic are only two letters away from each other. Can you tell I'm a choir junkie? ;D

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:50 pm »
In fact, now that I think about it, I'd like to see her & Tiffany have an adventure together.  ;D ;D ;D

Oooh, good one!! I totally second that!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 08:50:12 pm »
Whadda ya bet Tiffany would take charge, like Granny?

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 12:48:10 am »
Well, she'd definitely *try* to take charge, but from what little we've seen from Ms Nutter, I'm not so sure she'd succeed. But it would be an awesome pair. I found Tiffany/Granny *a little* disappointing, probably because I had high expectations.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 06:02:39 am »
Do you mean you expected more Granny in the stories?  Or something else?

I always like Esme, but they're Tiffany's books, & about her development as a witch.  I rather like that Mr. Pratchett didn't let Granny muscle in and take completely over.  I get the impression that Tiffany will be the Granny of the chalklands, with (I've just blanked out on her name) the teacher/witch as kind of her Nanny Ogg.  Not as earthy, obviously, but as her foil/best friend, more Holmes & Watson-ish.  There are so few witches on the chalk that I doubt they can make up a threesome believeably, unless Agnes moves down there.
Which would mean that Granny & Nanny have to find & train yet ANOTHER girl.  ;D :-\ ;D

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 04:29:32 am »
Yeah, somehow I expected to witness, I don't know, a nuclear bomb (not in the literal sense, obviously) or something when Tiffany and Granny met. I mean, it was definitely good, but not quite as good as I expected.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 10:45:21 am »
Okay. 
I'll admit I didn't.  They live too far apart for a lot of friction to develop.  Not only are they far enough apart geographically for territorial aggressions like Sam & Adam's to not erupt, but Granny's aware that she's not young any more.  She knows there needs to be someone as strong as she is to sort of take over her iconoclastic leadership in a decade or two or three when she dies.  Tiffany is an excellent candidate for the position, kind of like Eric "Cat" Chant in the Chrestomanci worlds of Diana Wynne Jones.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:05:40 pm by Patti L. »

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 04:37:07 pm »
Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci Chronicles are a favorite of mine! I really should reread them.... I have one and two. I haven't seen any others. Are there more out there?

I finished the color of magic. Have to wait till sunday to get the next book. Alas.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:45 pm »
I started a topic/thread for DWJ, I'll list her Chrestomanci titles for you over there, if you like, but I think it's up to 6 basic books now.
And it's just Thursday, you have to wait until Sunday?  Major vacuum! (a.k.a. it sucks bigtime ;D) Maybe you can grab some DWJ until then?