Author Topic: Terry Pratchett  (Read 59181 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Terry Pratchett
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
They can, but some things do refer back... checking copyright dates isn't a bad idea.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »
Ok, so I'll wait until I find them in order then. The ebooks I found don't start until book 5.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2010, 07:52:35 pm »
Oh, don't worry it precisely; there are different threads he follows; there are the ones about Rincewind (the first two and Eric, in particular), the ones about the other wizards at Unseen University, the ones about the Night Watch, the ones about the witches from Lancre, the ones about Death, and his granddaughter, and the stand alone ones, like "Pyramids", as well as the "young adult" ones in that world, "The Wee Free Men", "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents", etc.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »
Yeah, they can be read out of order. The first handful should probably be read in order, but they can stand alone for the most part.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 10:11:00 pm »
So they are a bit like the Xanth series? Read a few in order to get the idea then read whichever you can get ahold of?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:52 pm »
The first two or three are actually among the weakest of the series; rather like the first "Dresden Files" book.  Beyond that, if you see the blurb (?) saying "Carrot" or "Vimes" or "Watch", it's part of that series, and just look first for the earlier ones in that group, the same with the Witches, the Wizards, or Death.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »
I would say that the order of reading is not very important in the discworld series.
However I have a comprehensive chart here of the reading order if you want it Art :)

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.pdf

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2010, 03:27:09 am »
Thanks! I had found a linear list but that one looks more interesting.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2010, 09:55:09 am »
Doesn't it. I have not followed it in the least :P I just chose titles that tickled my fancy.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2010, 05:29:29 am »
for Pratchett's fans who live in London or in the area (from Waterstone's website):

MEET TERRY PRATCHETT

WATERSTONE'S PICCADILLY, Wednesday, 1 September 2010, 11:00PM

Tickets £9.50, to include a copy of 'I Shall Wear Midnight'. To book tickets please call 020 7851 2419. Lines are open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm only.

Join us & Sir Terry Pratchett at the official midnight launch of his new Discworld novel, 'I Shall Wear Midnight'.

Tickets are limited please book early to avoid disappointment. Entry without a ticket will not be allowed. Strictly one copy of 'I Shall Wear Midnight' will be signed per person, signature only, no dedications. Tickets holders to arrive no earlier than 10.30pm
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:33 am »
Art -- I wouldn't worry too much about reading them in order, to be honest. There are things that might be funnier if you've read the previous ones... but I've read them all randomly and enjoyed them regardless. :D

Oooooohhhhh, so jealous of London people!!!!  :-'

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Rob found this:  http://blastr.com/2010/09/terry-pratchett-made-his.php

I hope some day we'll get to see a photo of it.

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2010, 11:55:07 am »
hmmmm ..... if possible, try to read each series in order as there are a few (admittedly only a few) references to previous events. 

My favourite series is definitely the Night Watch series, which starts with Guards!  Guards!  The witches of Lancre and the Wee Free Men are also very entertaining.

And Pratchett also wrote (along with Neil Gaiman) a book called Good Omens, which is AWESOME!!!! 

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2010, 10:19:01 am »
I'm waiting to get my hands on a copy of I shall wear midnight. The local library system has seven copies, so I shan't bother to reserve it - hopefully it won't take too long for one to become available. I know it's supposed to be children/Young Adult, but I don't care.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2011, 01:18:05 pm »
Rumor has it, he's writing a new watch book. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...