Author Topic: Caitlin Brennan  (Read 3861 times)

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
Caitlin Brennan
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:53:51 pm »

Has anyobdy read her books?? I just finished The Mountain's Call, the first in a trilogy, her first book ever I think. Will definitely get the other two now as well.

Here's the description from her website http://www.sff.net/people/cait-brennan/index.html
Valeria relishes the tales of the mysterious, powerful Mountain where the gods--powerful beings in the form of white horses--live. And she loves hearing stories of the elite Riders who ride the Stallions in the Dance--a pattern that reflects, influences, and sometimes creates the past, present, or future. Though Valeria has a horse sense thought magical, she knows no woman has ever been called to the Mountain. Until she feels a strange pull and makes the decision to answer the call--as a boy...

Only Kerrec, a senior Rider, and Euan, a barbarian prince, realize the truth as Valeria survives until the final test--and passes with acclaim. But in her moment of triumph her secret is discovered and Valeria loses all that she's won.

Meanwhile, the barbarians plot to overthrow the Aurelian Empire. And Valeria's anger and frustration might be enough to give them a way in. Now the Empire depends on the will, the strength, and the loyalty of one Rider. A Rider who has been rejected by all but the gods...

I enjoyed the story a lot, although there are some cliches in it but I thought the whole idea in itself was new and intriguing (especially being a horsey-person myself). I also think Mrs. Brennan has an easy writing style, a bit like Our Hostess's, doesn't dwell on the unimportant, so the story moves forward easily, except for sometimes the reader is left hanging a bit.
All things considered, I found it a fun read and am looking forward to the sequels.
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

wizardbear

• Mechanic
Re: Caitlin Brennan
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:36:07 pm »
She is actually Judith Tarr, who uses this name only for these books (so far). See the Judith Tarr thread.