Author Topic: Hate Mail – Why bother?  (Read 26276 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Hate Mail – Why bother?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:18 pm »
Squid on the mantle??? Is that slang/a saying for something??
*is sorry for being such a nuisance with not understanding stuff like this*

Hey, carp can smell just as bad as what Gerd actually had in mind...  :P
"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used"  Or, it could be the detailed description of a pair of dueling pistols, or whatever.  Nothing to do with the matter at hand, in this case the question of why people bother with hate mail.
I suspect that plenty of people who write it don't even recognize that's what they're doing, and would deny it.  There can be lots of causes, and I'm not going to even try to catologue them.  Suffice it to say, some people can't see anything good without wanting to own it, and if they can't, they'll try to destroy it.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:59:03 pm »
In the wisdom of my little sister, why people write hate mail is because "Connor's feet stink."  :P  I was reading her some of the more amusing peices.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:21:44 pm »
"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used"  Or, it could be the detailed description of a pair of dueling pistols, or whatever.  Nothing to do with the matter at hand, in this case the question of why people bother with hate mail.
Ah, so if there were aliens threatening to invade our planet, and the world leaders met and talked about the weather, that would be squid on the mantle.
Thanks!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Temari

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:48 am »
I think hate mail can be upsetting, especially if it comes with threats, but I think too that some is just so far out as to just get the reaction, "What?!?" People often read more into books than the author intended, especially seeing symbolism in the book; some positive feedback can still be pretty funny too. "I'm very glad you liked it, but I really didn't write that..."

"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used" 

That's a great saying! I can think of several books where I've gone, "But what about the...?"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:40 am »
Ah, so if there were aliens threatening to invade our planet, and the world leaders met and talked about the weather, that would be squid on the mantle.
Thanks!!
Only if that made it seem that the weather was going to be significant to resolving the alien menace.  If it's just a matter of 'this is how they open the conversation', then no, no squid.
--By the way, if you'd like to discuss the subject further, we can do it in the "Discussion" area of the Writers Block, so we aren't in violation of the anti-thread hijacking rules.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:11 pm »
People often read more into books than the author intended, especially seeing symbolism in the book; some positive feedback can still be pretty funny too. "I'm very glad you liked it, but I really didn't write that..."

Anyone ever read the Adventers of Huckleberry Fin? It starts with a warning not to read too much into it. :D

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »
Adventers? Spelling or a spoof on Mark Twain's book?

I have read Mark Twain, although I don't remember the disclaimer...

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 04:27:09 pm »
Spelling... can't spell to save my life I'm afraid. :'(

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »
...at least you can use punctuation and save other people's lives!!! ;D ;D ;) Love that sig line :D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:13 pm »
Hate mail is a waste of time. Who as the ammount of time on their hands to actually sit down and write hate mail? I certainly don't. I spend too much time on the forum for that. And if you don't like something, for instance, I hated Harry Potter 4 the movie, but I didn't send hate mail to it, I just never watched it again.  ::) I don't mind constructive critisicism....(Spelling and me do not work well together...) ....helps an author or an actor to better themselves, but hate mail just brings them down. It brings down their self-esteem and they don't want to write or act anymore.
^.^ ~Neko~

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 03:11:19 pm »
That has happened with the author Lisa Valdez- she writes erotic historical romance and apparently she got a boatload of hate mail which affected her writing. Which is a shame because I enjoyed her first book and felt that although it wouldn't fit into other people's expectations I loved how her book was different from the norm especially since the genre was becoming popular. She has recently said on her site that she is back on track which I am glad.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:05:43 am »
In a way, I can *kinda* understand hate mail. I think it's ridiculous, but here's what I think: We all love to read and we have  certain authors we love and characters we love to read about. We get all antsy when one of our favorite authors has a book coming out  bOuNcY I think we can all agree then that people can get very invested into authors/characters/books. And when we read something that we expected to really love and we really didn't ... we get upset. And maybe people who end up writing hate mail want to just get that mad off their chest, or they want to try and tell the authors that they preferred and to have them get back to it. And sometimes people are just a little *too* invested  :-whistle and they forget that there's a difference between the author and her/his characters. Think of the hate mail Mercedes Lackey got from her Diana Tregarde series - she stopped writing them b/c of the level of unhinged/deranged mail she got saying she was espousing satanism. And I don't want this to degenerate into one of *those* conversations, but I'm sure we all know of the love/hate mail that Laurell K. Hamilton receives. People treat these characters like they're living and they're actual friends, so it seems like a friend has turned on you, or the author somehow "betrayed" your trust in them, or you feel like the author has a responsibility to you/the reader to do what *you* want.

I totally disagree with all of the above, but I've seen a lot of reader posts and author blogs on these topics and people can get *very* heated. Illona Andrews posted a snippet from someone's post/review saying she was a money-hungry person for not putting the book out when she/the reader wanted it. So there's just really a lack of understanding on the part of many readers about the book business and how authors are actually people and their characters aren't :) I read something about how Robert Pattinson (Twilight movie) had young girls asking him to bite them! Crazy. Actor/role.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:11 am »
it's simple people are crazy, everyone one of us.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:18 pm »
Some peoples craziness doesn't hurt others though. (such as gryph)

Readsalot81

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:39 am »
Hate mail is a waste of time, but when I think of hate mail, I actually think of state of mind rather than anything else.

It's easier to tear someone down than build them up. *shrug* At least, imo.  And to systemically rip apart and personalize your attacks speaks volumes about well, you.

Writing is one of the most subjective careers out there.  What speaks to one, might not necessarily speak to another. And it doesn't make them bad, it's simply what appeals to you and what doesn't.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to shoot off an email to an author  simply stating I loved their work and look forward to them writing more, and 9 times out of 10, I'll get a reply.  I can't imagine how much time and effort it would take to verbalize everything I hated or disliked about a novel, and more to the point, why would I?  There's nothing to be gained by writing something hateful and it won't make me feel any better so why do it?