Author Topic: Hate Mail – Why bother?  (Read 26277 times)

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
Hate Mail – Why bother?
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:29 pm »

I thought about asking Patty in the ‘Ask Patty’ thread if she ever got any hate-mails and how she dealt with them, but decided it was too personal a question, so I’m posting it here, maybe someone can ‘enlighten’ me…
I thought of this because I was surfing around on mugglenet not too long ago, in the wonderful Hall of Shame (still makes me laugh every time) and there are some examples of hate mail posted there, too. All I can do is laugh at it, but I do wonder, why people even bother writing it. I mean, if you don’t like something about a book/movie, then don’t read/watch it. After all, in the end it’s only entertainment, and usually even little kids get the fact that stories like Harry Potter aren’t true (at least I haven’t met any who point wands at me and say expelliarmus because they’re threatened by my purse). I can better understand if it’s something political/religious that can actually affect someone’s life, but IMO the whole thing about HP being satanic and evil is just BS – do the people who see it like that actually read it?
I also know a family where the kids aren’t allowed to read/watch HP, but they know Star Wars and LOTR basically by heart. HUH??? Same difference, to me… but at least they don't care enough to write hate mail, so fine. I’m a firm believer in the motto ‘if you have nothing good to say, then don’t say anything’. Keeps me out of trouble most of the times, and on the occasions when I don’t listen to the good angel but the bad, nagging one, I feel bad about it afterwards…  :P

OK, *takes deep breath* rant over... and I realise this is pretty hypocritical, ranting about people who write hate-mail...   ::) ;D
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Hate Mail – Why bother?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:45:32 pm »
I’m a firm believer in the motto ‘if you have nothing good to say, then don’t say anything’. Keeps me out of trouble most of the times, and on the occasions when I don’t listen to the good angel but the bad, nagging one, I feel bad about it afterwards…  :P

I wouldn't go that far.... I'd say as long as it is constructive critisicm and not just something like "I do not like it because...blabla" it is not only okay, but an feedback a writer can use to improve.

What i don't understand is, that some people can get all fanatical cursing books, movies whatever. What exactly forces them to spend their time with it? I mean, if I don't like - let's say - fantasy, why read it or watch a  movie that OBVIOUSLY (like e.g. LOTR....) deals with those things? And why argue over things that NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY can ever claim to judge in a totally objective way? Because books, movies, music.... everything that is entertainment is about personal preferences and therefore nobody can say it is good or it is bad...... i say I like it or I don't, because it's alaways a subjective opinion.

As for hate mail....... I think every person who is to some extent present in the public has received hate mail somewhen. There are just too many people out there who - apparently - have no other problems than to spend their time with things like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't want bad things happen to those people.... but just how bored do you have to be, to spend - with full intention - extra time with something you obviously don't like? See, I don't like what George Lucas did with the first three episodes of Star Wars *shudders* but hey, I don't have to watch it a second time, right?

I daresay that the rape and how Patricia Briggs dealt with the consequences may have stirred some voices. Personally - I liked the way she dealt with it. We did not read about the rape itself which would be - IMO - going too far. But as sad as it is, rape happens and it was very brave of her to include it in a novel.

To come to an end after all this rambling:
I don't understand people who write hate mail. And maybe - by talking about it - we even give them more attention than they deserve.

GW  WK  WH

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:19:38 am »
Hate Mail – Why bother?
Because it's fun to read.  :D

Back from mugglenet (I didn't even now that existed before), where I learned the meaning of IDGRA and that Ron and Hermione are an item now. And fans really didn't see that coming?
Heck even I had my suspicions about that and I only read HP1/Chapter 1 and watched two of the movies.  ::)

I digress,
I suppose (or better hope) that the majority of mails I read there are written by disillusioned teens that felt cheated because the books didn't work out as they hoped for, at certain ages you do care for these things, and look back on it later and hopefully can laugh about it.

But why do people write hate mail in general?
Probably because they are angry and feel the need to lash out at somebody, anybody. And authors make a good target for that.
Look at it that way, you shed out good money for a book and it turns out to be carp.
Most everybody will get angry about that, the wiser among us just as much at the author as at oneself, others go and write more or less lengthy hate mails I guess. Whatever helps you to feel better, right?
And the invention of eMail didn't make that anybetter.

(There's a popular joke about that:
A company decided to reduce the amount of paper wasted each year and demanded from their workers that in-house correspondence should be made via eMail. But people started to write and send everything that crossed their mind. In the end everbody hard printed every message he did send or get to cover his own ass and they used up twice the amount of paper.)

Not that I'm trying to say there was no hate mail going around in earlier days, but it certainly got a lot worse with the ease of accessibility granted in the electronic age.
That's the down side to this frightening brand new century, back in the days you had to put some work into writing, even with hate mail, these days you just have to type out your thoughts (no matter how incoherent they are) and press send.

As for the satanism accusations fantasy authors are apt to receive, well, never try to understand religious nutcases.
It's impossible to second guess what might go trough the minds of people that actually believe that there's a place in the afterlife just to punish infidels ... or people that think a childhood believe in magic was the way to the dark side...
It's only a pity for those children that have to realise that their parents are a lot more immature than they are, and in a pathological way so. :(

See, I don't like what George Lucas did with the first three episodes of Star Wars *shudders* but hey, I don't have to watch it a second time, right?
Good point, but I still believe that I would feel a lot better if was to finally write down that go to hell, George letter and send it to him.  >:(
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:54:33 am »
Oh well, I'm among those who really don't understand people who write hate mail: I'm with Cheese on this, how bored do you have to be to spend time like that? ::) I'm not against constructive criticism, I even sent an email to an author to point out an historical incongruency, but always being polite: hate mail is all about "I don't like this and since I didn't like it, it is crap, you should have done it like I'd have done it and you're wrong and I'm right". Well, duh, some deep thoughts there, we might have the next Nobel prize among these... ;)
In the end, I think a good use of your mail wastebin gets the problem solved: unfortunately for us, brain transplants are still unavailable ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:24:12 am »
I don't get hate mail at all- and I cant see the reasons why people would want to write them. Although I can understand criticisms like historical inaccuracies or factual errors- but I wont go out of my way to write something negative to an author especially if there is no basis for it.
If I have to write something negative then it would have to be the my lack of enjoyment or the weakness of the story but I wont go out of my way to write this to an author.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:28:20 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:39:35 am »
Hate Mail – Why bother?

Look at it that way, you shed out good money for a book and it turns out to be carp.  >:(

When I pay for a book, it better not be carp...or trout..or salmon......(giggle..snort...wheeze.. :D :D :D)

Sorry Gerd, I couldn't resist. I'm a dork. ;)
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:56 am »
Ha!  I'm sorry, I had to laugh, too. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:25:17 pm »
I have an urge to carp on the fish theme, but it's a squid on the mantle.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:29:28 pm »

Squid on the mantle??? Is that slang/a saying for something??
*is sorry for being such a nuisance with not understanding stuff like this*

Hey, carp can smell just as bad as what Gerd actually had in mind...  :P

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:31 pm »
Hey, no need to resort to flinging fish! I love how it goes from rants about hate mail to snorting about fish!  :D

On the topic of hate mail: I can't really understand sending hate mail to people like authors and actors, because they don't actually affect anything. The only time I can kind of see sending a hate message is to someone like a politician or law maker that does in fact have the power to impact people's individual lives and quality of life in general. I would not ever send hate mail, I don't see how it would do any good, but I can see someone who feels powerless in a situation trying to gain some control by instilling fear through hate mail. I think that that is mostly what people who send hate mail try to do- instill fear, but it seems like most people would be underwhelmed by what are mostly empty threats.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »
Dshgholam, you're the first person I've ever heard (well, seen) using the word 'underwhelmed' except in 'Ten Things I hate about You':
Chastity: I know you can be overwhelmed. And you can be underwhelmed. But can you ever just be whelmed?
Bianca: I think you can in Europe?
*LMAO*

Ok, to stay on topic:
Hey, no need to resort to flinging fish! I love how it goes from rants about hate mail to snorting about fish!  :D
I think it's funny, too. Fun surprise!!
Eh, I meant off topic...  :P

Okay, now on topic:
I don't know if hate mail doesn't affect anything. I mean, knowing myself, if I ever were an author (fat chance, haha) worthy enough to even deserve hate mail, I would have a really hard time ignoring it. I know myself too well, I'd just keep thinking about it and doubting myself and my work. Of course, you don't have to read it, but I think just the fact that I got it would make my self-esteem low, at least for a time. It'd be there, nagging in the back of my mind...
I think as a famous author you have to put on a 'thick pelt' considering stuff like that. I suppose you get used to it, after a while, too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:15:34 pm by Snoopy »

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »
I think everyone would be affected by hate-mails, at least in the beginning, most of all, probably, because you get to think "Well, if someone went to all the trouble of writing me this, maybe I really f*cked up big time". This because we would be entitling the people who write it of a brain, that they probably don't have, but whatever... ::) It likely hurts, but if you have good people around you, who believe in what you do and support your work, then it might be easier, and after a while you learn that the people worth listening to don't waste time writing hate-mails. ;)

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 01:19:53 pm »
This because we would be entitling the people who write it of a brain, that they probably don't have, but whatever... ::)
What's a brain?? Dang, my head hurts from the hollow wind inside it. And what's this piece of paper I've been writing on?? 'Dear X, your stories are dumb' - dang, I forgot what 'dumb' means again...
 :D ;D :D

It likely hurts, but if you have good people around you, who believe in what you do and support your work, then it might be easier, and after a while you learn that the people worth listening to don't waste time writing hate-mails. ;)
I agree. Couldn't have said it better, Mazoku!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:24:47 pm by Snoopy »

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »
Yeah, I had a moment of profound insight, so prize it ;D :D

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »

*bows to the Great Good Mazoku*

*chants* I praise you, oh Insighted One!!

No, honestly, I think you hit the nail on the head, just like Dr. Seuss once said: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:18 pm »
Squid on the mantle??? Is that slang/a saying for something??
*is sorry for being such a nuisance with not understanding stuff like this*

Hey, carp can smell just as bad as what Gerd actually had in mind...  :P
"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used"  Or, it could be the detailed description of a pair of dueling pistols, or whatever.  Nothing to do with the matter at hand, in this case the question of why people bother with hate mail.
I suspect that plenty of people who write it don't even recognize that's what they're doing, and would deny it.  There can be lots of causes, and I'm not going to even try to catologue them.  Suffice it to say, some people can't see anything good without wanting to own it, and if they can't, they'll try to destroy it.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:59:03 pm »
In the wisdom of my little sister, why people write hate mail is because "Connor's feet stink."  :P  I was reading her some of the more amusing peices.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:21:44 pm »
"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used"  Or, it could be the detailed description of a pair of dueling pistols, or whatever.  Nothing to do with the matter at hand, in this case the question of why people bother with hate mail.
Ah, so if there were aliens threatening to invade our planet, and the world leaders met and talked about the weather, that would be squid on the mantle.
Thanks!!

Temari

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:48 am »
I think hate mail can be upsetting, especially if it comes with threats, but I think too that some is just so far out as to just get the reaction, "What?!?" People often read more into books than the author intended, especially seeing symbolism in the book; some positive feedback can still be pretty funny too. "I'm very glad you liked it, but I really didn't write that..."

"Squid on the mantle" is short hand for "a piece of description that sounds significant, but is never used" 

That's a great saying! I can think of several books where I've gone, "But what about the...?"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:40 am »
Ah, so if there were aliens threatening to invade our planet, and the world leaders met and talked about the weather, that would be squid on the mantle.
Thanks!!
Only if that made it seem that the weather was going to be significant to resolving the alien menace.  If it's just a matter of 'this is how they open the conversation', then no, no squid.
--By the way, if you'd like to discuss the subject further, we can do it in the "Discussion" area of the Writers Block, so we aren't in violation of the anti-thread hijacking rules.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:11 pm »
People often read more into books than the author intended, especially seeing symbolism in the book; some positive feedback can still be pretty funny too. "I'm very glad you liked it, but I really didn't write that..."

Anyone ever read the Adventers of Huckleberry Fin? It starts with a warning not to read too much into it. :D

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »
Adventers? Spelling or a spoof on Mark Twain's book?

I have read Mark Twain, although I don't remember the disclaimer...

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 04:27:09 pm »
Spelling... can't spell to save my life I'm afraid. :'(

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »
...at least you can use punctuation and save other people's lives!!! ;D ;D ;) Love that sig line :D

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:13 pm »
Hate mail is a waste of time. Who as the ammount of time on their hands to actually sit down and write hate mail? I certainly don't. I spend too much time on the forum for that. And if you don't like something, for instance, I hated Harry Potter 4 the movie, but I didn't send hate mail to it, I just never watched it again.  ::) I don't mind constructive critisicism....(Spelling and me do not work well together...) ....helps an author or an actor to better themselves, but hate mail just brings them down. It brings down their self-esteem and they don't want to write or act anymore.
^.^ ~Neko~

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 03:11:19 pm »
That has happened with the author Lisa Valdez- she writes erotic historical romance and apparently she got a boatload of hate mail which affected her writing. Which is a shame because I enjoyed her first book and felt that although it wouldn't fit into other people's expectations I loved how her book was different from the norm especially since the genre was becoming popular. She has recently said on her site that she is back on track which I am glad.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:05:43 am »
In a way, I can *kinda* understand hate mail. I think it's ridiculous, but here's what I think: We all love to read and we have  certain authors we love and characters we love to read about. We get all antsy when one of our favorite authors has a book coming out  bOuNcY I think we can all agree then that people can get very invested into authors/characters/books. And when we read something that we expected to really love and we really didn't ... we get upset. And maybe people who end up writing hate mail want to just get that mad off their chest, or they want to try and tell the authors that they preferred and to have them get back to it. And sometimes people are just a little *too* invested  :-whistle and they forget that there's a difference between the author and her/his characters. Think of the hate mail Mercedes Lackey got from her Diana Tregarde series - she stopped writing them b/c of the level of unhinged/deranged mail she got saying she was espousing satanism. And I don't want this to degenerate into one of *those* conversations, but I'm sure we all know of the love/hate mail that Laurell K. Hamilton receives. People treat these characters like they're living and they're actual friends, so it seems like a friend has turned on you, or the author somehow "betrayed" your trust in them, or you feel like the author has a responsibility to you/the reader to do what *you* want.

I totally disagree with all of the above, but I've seen a lot of reader posts and author blogs on these topics and people can get *very* heated. Illona Andrews posted a snippet from someone's post/review saying she was a money-hungry person for not putting the book out when she/the reader wanted it. So there's just really a lack of understanding on the part of many readers about the book business and how authors are actually people and their characters aren't :) I read something about how Robert Pattinson (Twilight movie) had young girls asking him to bite them! Crazy. Actor/role.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:11 am »
it's simple people are crazy, everyone one of us.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:18 pm »
Some peoples craziness doesn't hurt others though. (such as gryph)

Readsalot81

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:39 am »
Hate mail is a waste of time, but when I think of hate mail, I actually think of state of mind rather than anything else.

It's easier to tear someone down than build them up. *shrug* At least, imo.  And to systemically rip apart and personalize your attacks speaks volumes about well, you.

Writing is one of the most subjective careers out there.  What speaks to one, might not necessarily speak to another. And it doesn't make them bad, it's simply what appeals to you and what doesn't.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to shoot off an email to an author  simply stating I loved their work and look forward to them writing more, and 9 times out of 10, I'll get a reply.  I can't imagine how much time and effort it would take to verbalize everything I hated or disliked about a novel, and more to the point, why would I?  There's nothing to be gained by writing something hateful and it won't make me feel any better so why do it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 07:47:49 pm »
Hate mail is a waste of time, but when I think of hate mail, I actually think of state of mind rather than anything else.

It's easier to tear someone down than build them up. *shrug* At least, imo.  And to systemically rip apart and personalize your attacks speaks volumes about well, you.

This, I believe is the heart of the matter.  "I want to make a difference and I can't make things better, ergo, I will tear them down to my level." 

Writing is one of the most subjective careers out there.  What speaks to one, might not necessarily speak to another. And it doesn't make them bad, it's simply what appeals to you and what doesn't.

There's nothing to be gained by writing something hateful and it won't make me feel any better so why do it?
And here's another point of this.  Some people - obviously not those who frequent this site! - do feel better for tearing down someone else.  Sadists, they're called.

Some people have the unfortunate mindset to first concentrate on what they don't like/want, then tear down the ones who produced it via hate mail/bad reviews.  Then, and this is where they are really damaged, they hang around to see the damage and throw gasoline on the flames.
I understand there's a lot of this at Amazon reviews, as well as certain other author boards.  Or forums dedicated to them, as the . . . mugglewhatzit mentioned early in the thread.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 03:51:34 am »
I guess you will like this blog post about responsibility in worldbuilding: Linky

I can see how people that may have been or may feel personally affected by something an author writes about might snap and feel compelled to write a letter opening with a friendly
Dear daft cow,

That's why you should sleep a night over it before putting up that letter - only, that is not going to happen on the internet, is it. :)

And you are right, hate mail doesn't work, because those that 'need' it won't listen.
Reminds of a quote by George Orwell, about how Governments can weather out moral outrage 'till the cows come home.

This, I believe is the heart of the matter.  "I want to make a difference and I can't make things better, ergo, I will tear them down to my level."
Aye, that's true.
Writing hate mail gives you a treacherous sense of instant gratification, while trying to support a matter you really care for, trying to work a change and if it was only in the way people write about certain things, is a slow and frustrating process.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:27 am »
I'll look at the link later.
How could all hate mail be "derived from over-involvement in fantasy, and a loss of contact with reality"?  Some of it is written about facts!

Here's an example of what I mean.
Ted Bundy exists.  He did murder several people.
Ann Rule wrote about it.
Facts, yes?
I am of the opinion that she shouldn't have done so.
It glorifies serial killers, makes it seem reasonable an attractive to people who aren't too tightly linked to reality already.
They become serial killers or enablers for them.

I am not going to write hate mail to Ms. Rule - who doesn't live all that far from me, as it happens, someone sent me a link to the internet listing for the home she's selling nearby a few days ago - because of several things.

She's not alone in writing about serial killers, and I'm not going to stop her from making her living this way.
I would be one step closer to becoming what I despise by being hateful toward her.
It would - if it got out where others could see it, as email has a habit of doing - only increase interest in a subject I'd be trying to smother!  Entirely counterproductive.

Temari

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »
Just a thought - I wonder how much more hate mail authors get now that mail is email rather than snail mail?

Many people might feel compelled to write down their feelings on something. But then
- in the past they would have to at the least walk/drive to a post office, perhaps waiting until the next day before doing so
- now they just hit 'send'

I think in the first instance many people would in fact decide, on reflection, not to send anything at all.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »
Tenfold more at least.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:38 am »
Many people might feel compelled to write down their feelings on something. But then
- in the past they would have to at the least walk/drive to a post office, perhaps waiting until the next day before doing so
- now they just hit 'send'
And this is not taking into account the other "advances" beyond mere convenience:

- no postage to be paid,
- no handwriting/typewriting skills required (not that I expect these people to care much for legibility of their message),
- a heightened sense of anonymity

I'm sure more could come to mind.

Though, the first is naturally the main point.
The old joke about the company that set up a eMail system to reduce paper costs and then ended up with much higher paper costs because inter-bureau messaging became so hateful and unreliable (people claiming to have sent mails others claiming never to have received any) that everybody started to print out (most) everything they did send or receive... doesn't exist for no reason.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:35:43 am by Gerd D. »

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 06:31:24 am »
As an author of industry research, I often face criticism for what I've published. For the most part, this has been limited to Emailed messages designed to help me see the error of my ways, enlighten me to the proper way of seeing things or to show me where my research methodology is wrong.

On more than one occasion, I've actually gotten telephone calls from industry executives trying to convince me to edit a report, retract a report or merely to help me see their point of view.

Once, a major executive suggested that I made up a whole market out of nothing. This, by the way, was a market that produces several billion dollars in revenues every year.

I take these attempts to reach out as ways to suggest different ways for me to see things. I'm grateful to them for taking the time. It demonstrates that something I've written was important enough to them for them to take action and reach out to me.

Dan K in ROC

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:28 am »
I am staggered.
I do note, though, that you're basically talking about the content, not about attacks on you personally.

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:21 am »
If being described as "an idiot" is a personal attack, that's been part of the package. I'm just pleased to have found a way to have had an impact.

Dan K in ROC

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 05:03:10 am »
"an idiot" is a personal attack, but a relatively minor one.

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:22 am »
I've discovered that an interesting way to address those issues is to send a private message to the individual, thank them for their interest and then find out why they feel that way.  Often I learn that there are good reasons supporting their viewpoint. I might not agree with those reasons, but once I understand them, I can take that viewpoint into account when writing other things.

In the end, most are just trying to be heard.
Dan K in ROC

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 05:30:53 am »
Sounds as though what you have are more differences of interpretation than "you are an evil bast&rd who I hope roasts in hell, and your dog with you" which is more what a lot of us are thinking of when we hear "hate mail."

Maybe factual, scientific writing doesn't generate the same kind of misplaced passions.

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 01:41:11 am »
What would even be worse would be the wish that you roast your dog in hell.
Dan K in ROC

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 07:21:26 am »
Maybe factual, scientific writing doesn't generate the same kind of misplaced passions.

Scientific readers probably realise that there's no way to prove the existence of "hell" just before they hit the send button. :)

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 02:39:23 am »
Hell exists! You can find it right here on Google Maps http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl  :)
Dan K in ROC

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:35 am »
Ayup. In fact, a noticeable number of people go to Hell on April 15th, just to mail their tax returns to the IRS. It's also a popular Halloween destination. The town goes all-out to ensure a family style night, no Satanists are welcome.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 01:04:49 pm »
Okay, this isn't hate mail, but it's the same damaging mentality by the owner (Note I specify; I'm not going to tar everyone at the publishing house with the same brush) of Ellora's Cave:  http://vacuousminx.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/chilling-effects/

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 02:13:21 am »
Oh, my. Hate mentality or power trip running over into paranoia?
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:51 am »
Tee-hee, wow, she's one rich nutcase, in every possible sense. LOL