Author Topic: Carol Berg  (Read 5760 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Carol Berg
« on: April 22, 2008, 04:08:43 pm »
Anyone a fan?

I've been reading quite a few of her books lately:

The Books of the Rai-kirah (An exotic world of haunted memories, the terrors of slavery, and the triumph of salvation...
  • Transformation
  • Revelation
  • Restoration

Good story, you get a very grim, realistic view of the life of a slave.

Song of the Beast was a good read as well...but again...brutal life of a prisoner. Good solid fantasy with a nice twist on dragonriders.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:10:15 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Dawa

Re: Carol Berg
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:26:00 am »
I was a fan, right up till Son of Avonar, then I got really, really bored.  So, I skipped all four of those books and went for the new series, but I couldn't get past the excerpt.  >:(

However, I REALLY like the books of the Rai-Kirah and I find myself re-reading them.  I'm just waiting for the writing on her new books to go back...

May never happen.

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:11:15 pm »
I'm going to have to agree with Dawa on this one. I really enjoyed her first series, and I believe she had a short in Elemental Magic? that was really good, but I didn't like the second or third series :/. I hope she does another series off the short. :)

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:30:26 pm »
I loved Song of the Beast! It was great. Also, Son of Avonar was the first book to ever surprise me with the ending. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't ever get into the other books in that series or the Transformation series. But I really enjoy the writing of the ones I have read.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »
I just reread Transformation mainly because I reread her short in Elemental Magic right before then and wondered where it fit in the timeline with the other trilogy. (It's before fyi). It was as good as the first time I read it. I don't know why, but I really enjoy that series. :)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
Carol Berg has another series out, The Collegia Magica. I read the first one The Spirit Lens recently. I liked the story, but had no empathy for the characters. That made it kind of hard to really get in to the story. The next one in the series is told from the point of view of a different character, so I have higher hopes for it.