Author Topic: Robin McKinley  (Read 47489 times)

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Re: Robin McKinley
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 08:18:56 pm »
I think that Deerskin is a good book and in someways an important book (if I may use that term here).

But I just don't always pick up my "important" books to be reread.

Maybe when I'm out of school, she says with a sigh.

Actually, part of what I like about RM is her ability to balance the dark with the light.  She acknowledges that bad things exist but also, that good exists to fight them.  Something that I feel is missing from alot of "important" (self-important?) literature.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 07:44:09 am »
Scary stories have probably been told for as long as we have told stories.  Just as there have probably been people cleaning up, editing, rewriting or reusing stories since .... oh, the third or fouth story. ;)

I have found some truly BAD books that claim to be written by this or that author whose work is now in the public domain that has been totally rewritten to be sold for children.  I think what kids should be protected from is such misleading, unentertaining junk.

If a kid isn't ready to be exposed to the story, don't read or tell it to him or her.  It is a parents job to censor for their children.  At least until either the kids make it impossible, or the parents have taught them to judge for themselves.  There is of course, never any agreement on all the above! ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 09:50:39 am »
Has anyone read her recent book Dragonhaven? It came out in September, but I've not seen it in my local BN. I don't know if I want to order it or not.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48:34 am »
Haven't read it, but saw it in the kids dept.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

dini

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 04:26:09 pm »
Personally, as disturbing as Deerskin is, I think it's one of her best. It's dark, it's rather frightening, and I only wish the basic premise was impossible. Unfortunately, however, we all know better.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
There are people on this forum who've had to deal with abuse, I'm certain of it.  My step-grandfather tried to molest my little sister when she was about 8 or 9.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 06:31:02 am »
Pretending abuse doesn't exsist doesn't happen has never stopped it from happening.  Discuss avoiding it carefully with your children and watch ALL of our kids. 

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 10:56:46 am »
Does anyone know if she is working on anything?  Does she have anything coming out?  I haven't seen anything since Sunshine (great story!!) and that's what?  2 or 3 years ago?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:57 pm »
Has anyone read her recent book Dragonhaven? It came out in September, but I've not seen it in my local BN. I don't know if I want to order it or not.
  Does this help?  She also has a site or blog, but I'm helpless at finding & posting links, sorry.

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 05:43:08 am »
She also has a site or blog, but I'm helpless at finding & posting links, sorry.

Here are the links:

http://robinmckinley.livejournal.com/

http://www.robinmckinley.com/

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:23 am »
Thank you for the links!

Unfortunately, I had heard that Dragonhaven wasn't very good.  Has anyone read it?

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:04 am »
Thank you for the links!

Unfortunately, I had heard that Dragonhaven wasn't very good.  Has anyone read it?

Well, I read it and I liked it. It's probably not one of her best books (for me these would be Sunshine, Beauty, Rose Daughter and Deerskin), but I found it an intersting story.
It's written in the first person and a bit rambling (fits the narrating personality though). Maybe I'll re-read in the next days and can give you a more detailed account.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:08 pm »
Thank you and let me know if you think it's worth buying!  Because of her other books, I seriously thought of buying Dragonhaven anyway.  The money, however, went to other authors.

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 08:57:50 am »
Thank you and let me know if you think it's worth buying!  Because of her other books, I seriously thought of buying Dragonhaven anyway.  The money, however, went to other authors.

I started re-reading it last night and I think I can now name a few reasons why some people didn't like it. I'll try to discribe those a bit without spoiling the plot.
First, as I already mentioned, it's written in first person (a bit like Sunshine, but even more rambling) but it's clearly in a looking back kind of way. Whereas in Sunshine the "rambling" of the narrator was focused on magic, "others", and especially baking (which is a topic a lot of readers can relate to as most will like baking or at least sampling the results :) ), in Dragonhaven it's focused on animal care, zoo/national park organisation and politics as well as draco and dragon biology and systematics. In my opinion this is done quite well and it's interesting, but then I'm a zoologist and therefore really interested in those topics. I remember reading a review on Deerskin where somebody complained about the extensive information on puppy care - if you didn't like those parts or found them boring, don't bother buying Dragonhaven as you probably won't like it.
The story is told from the POV of a 14-18 year old boy. In my opinion it's done quite well, but because of that it might be harder to identify with him and to like him. The plot starts slowly, which for me wasn't a problem cause I liked the world building (all this natural science info on a slightly different earth). There is no romance to speak of and what is there is fairly matter of fact.
What is actually kind of weird and untypically for Robin McKinley is the 50 pages Epilogue - for once you get some kind of spelled out conclusion. In my opinion it's not really necessary to the story though it's nice to get some questions answered (of course it also opens new ones).

I hope this will help you decide if you should buy the book or maybe get it from the library or wait till it comes out in paperback...

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:20 am »
Thank you for the info.  Yes, I will definitely look in my library to see if they have the book.  Either that and/or keep my eye out at the yard sales.  Of course, have you ever noticed that fantasy/paranormal/romance books never seem to appear at yard sales?  But then, I'm not all that willing to part with mine either!!!