Author Topic: Robin McKinley  (Read 42663 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Robin McKinley
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:17:44 am »
From what I understand, McKinley won't be writing a sequel to Sunshine. I think she left the door open, but it's basically "If inspiration strikes", but don't hold your breath :)

I did love Sunshine, though. It's so very dark and different.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:15 am »
And yet similar.  Benjamin Sisko of Earth Trek Tours, Godzilla. . . .
I like the Damar stuff, including the rather odd, around the edges shorts, like the time travel one.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Melisa

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 12:22:38 am »
Robin Mckinley has just started a blog on her site.  www.robinmckinley.com  Under new stuff.
  She talks about everything from her new book Dragon Haven, to her dogs, gardening, recipes...So far it has been really interesting.  She'll even answer questions in her comment section, so read carefully. ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:02 am »
Thank you, Melisa!  That may tempt me from this board from time to time.
 ;D in fact, you did.  I popped over there & read a couple of her FAQ answers.  Good 'uns, too. ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:55:47 am by Patti L. »

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 07:59:21 pm »
I really liked Sunshine, but my favorite will always be Beauty, followed closely by Outlaws of Sherwood.

Melisa

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:17 pm »
You are welcome.  I always like to spread the news on favorite authors.   ;D

reeses3

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:37:09 pm »
I have to admit I read halfway through Deerskin recently and well... I couldn't force myself anymore. Her writing style is just not for me.
Dreams are not but reality unseen.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 11:16:07 pm »
No, she won't work for everyone.  And that story!
Try something either more innocuous, like Beauty, or with the seriously different feel of Sunshine.  Or even check the short stories, if you're willing to give another try for her.   I feel she's worth the effort, but she just may not be your cup of Oolong.  (Hee hee.  There's a digression or two about tea in Sunshine.  Along with Godzilla and Benjamin Sisko.)

reeses3

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 11:24:36 pm »
Oh I'm not going to knock her off my list just yet but it'll be a while before I give her another try. I breezed through two really good books after Deerskin sooo I'm not too keen to go back just yet. But with your suggests, I'll keep my eyes open for those other titles.
Dreams are not but reality unseen.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 11:29:51 pm »
Great!  We've got lots & lots of suggestions around here.   Some of them are even legal!  ;-)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 09:43:06 am »
Oh I'm not going to knock her off my list just yet but it'll be a while before I give her another try. I breezed through two really good books after Deerskin sooo I'm not too keen to go back just yet. But with your suggests, I'll keep my eyes open for those other titles.
Oh yeah, Deerskin is very different from the rest of her work. To me, it's nothing like her other books. I'll second the motion to start with Beauty - it's a great book that makes you feel fuzzy inside. You'd need that after trying Deerskin!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 05:37:26 pm »
Deerskin is just a hard read.

Her other fairytales not nearly as challenging to a reader's sensitivities.  They do make you think, but they don't horrify you.

Beauty and Rose Daughter are both good.  (Beauty is my favorite, but I liked alot of what she did in Rose Daughter).

Spindle's End (retelling of Sleeping Beauty) is also good.  I love how she treats the fairy godparent "gifts".

I love Outlaws of Sherwood.  In fact, it informs so much of my opinion of Robin Hood mythology, that all other stories are judged against it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 05:48:21 pm »
You can't exactly blame the problems of Deerskin on Ms. McKinley.  Choosing it to adapt, yes, but the origin is a French fairy tale as is Rapunzel.  And that involves the prince having his eyes put out by the thorns.  Not exactly nice either.  A lot of those tales were harsher in their origins, we're all used to the Disneyfied or 'bowlderized' versions.  Burrow back, & sleeping beauty isn't that sweet either.  Considering the way people relish the Hannibal Lector books, they shouldn't complain so much about this one.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 10:59:34 am »
Given that the fairy tales we have today bear little resemblance to the originals... I think it's true that Deerskin is actually one of the few more accurate retellings - before fairy tells became Disneyfied and sanitized.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 04:03:49 pm »
And proof that the modern dark stories aren't entirely an artifact of the times.  They had 'em way back when.  It was mostly the Victorians again (they've got a lot to answer for) who thought they were too 'dark' for children & started softening them.