Author Topic: Robin McKinley  (Read 44035 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Robin McKinley
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:08:30 am »
She's written a couple of my favorite books. "The Blue Sword" and "Deerskin". The Blue Sword is in my top 5 favorite fantasy books, I love this book. I reread it a lot. She has a book out called "Sunshine" vampires and magic users, looks interesting. Has anyone read that one?
Hurog Means Dragon.

Jule

Re: Robin McKinley
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:02:34 pm »
I really like Robin McCkinley. I read Sunshine and The Hero and the Crown. Both were very easy to get into.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:17:54 pm »
Jule, how was the story for "Sunshine"? I'm trying to see if I can find it anywhere up here.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Jule

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »
 It's really good. Sorry I didn't answer before, I didn't completely read your post. It's about this woman, Sunshine, who works in a bakery. She is kidnapped by vampire thugs and held hostage with another vampire. It's also about how she learns to use her own magic and her bond with the vampire she was held hostage with. She's a very endearing person, and the vampires are pretty cool too. They are sort of creepy; they can be scary and grotesque, but they're very interesting. They'er not reallly the typical vampires you see in paranormal romance. It's set in an alternate world. It's the U.S cities, after these vampire/magic wars, where everyone's suspicious of anthing magical or supernatural.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:11:54 pm »
That's no worries, Jule. Thanks for the summary. :) That actually sounds really good. I'll move it from an I'll buy if I see it book to I'll go and order it book.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Jule

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:14:30 pm »
Did you ask where to find Sunshine?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
I just checked online. They have it in stock at my local bookstore. Excellent!  8)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:23:47 am »
Try Beauty, too. It's a wonderful retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story. It looks like it was recently reissued.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:52 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!  Beauty sometimes appears in juvinile or Teen, as well, you can check that, too. 

Ms. McKinley has a penchant for retelling classics, have you seen the OTHER version of Beauty & the Beast she did two decades or a quarter century later?  The Rose Daughter.  Completely different, equally compelling.
Well, to be honest, not to me, but I've been reading & re, re-re, etc. Beauty for nearly three decades. 

In fact, either Hero & Crown or The Blue Sword (forgotten which) is a Newberry award winner.

And you've seen her collections too, I hope?  Some great stuff in those as well.

I really like the rediculously large horse in Beauty, don't you?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:31 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!  Beauty sometimes appears in juvinile or Teen, as well, you can check that, too. 

Ms. McKinley has a penchant for retelling classics, have you seen the OTHER version of Beauty & the Beast she did two decades or a quarter century later?  The Rose Daughter.  Completely different, equally compelling.
Well, to be honest, not to me, but I've been reading & re, re-re, etc. Beauty for nearly three decades. 

In fact, either Hero & Crown or The Blue Sword (forgotten which) is a Newberry award winner.

And you've seen her collections too, I hope?  Some great stuff in those as well.

I really like the ridiculously large horse in Beauty, don't you?

Oh, yes. I've read Rose Daughter (her other retelling) and I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I love Beauty. Beauty and The Blue Sword are some of, if not the, best YA fiction around. Old friends  :)

I've read The Outlaws of Sherwood Forest, which was pretty good. I may have been spoiled by the abovementioned books, though, b/c I can't remember it all that well. And I loved Sunshine, and was rather disturbed by Deerskin - which was the point, I imagine. Deerskin is definitely not YA. Or it should be approved by parents if nothing else. I'm having a hard time remembering the rest of her books ...
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:30:21 pm »

I really like the ridiculously large horse in Beauty, don't you?

Oh, yes. I've read Rose Daughter (her other retelling) and I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I love Beauty. Beauty and The Blue Sword are some of, if not the, best YA fiction around. Old friends  :)

I've read The Outlaws of Sherwood Forest, which was pretty good. I may have been spoiled by the abovementioned books, though, b/c I can't remember it all that well. And I loved Sunshine, and was rather disturbed by Deerskin - which was the point, I imagine. Deerskin is definitely not YA. Or it should be approved by parents if nothing else. I'm having a hard time remembering the rest of her books ...
'The Door in the Hedge', & 'A Knot in the Grain' are her 2 collections of her own work, she edited & has a story in 'Water'.  The other book set in the earlier kingdom of the Blue Sword is The Hero & the Crown.  I keep thinking there's a third, but if so it's not coming to mind.

Raeana

Robin McKinley
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 03:23:35 pm »
I know that Robin McKinley has only written one paranormal/urban fantasy romance novel Sunshine but I have to say that it blew me away. I have been a fan of her work since The Blue Sword came out and I must say that Sunshine was a complete switch of genre for her. I was wonderful! I own all her books (just like I own all of Patricia Briggs except for Masques) and I reread them frequently.

I think what attracts me to authors like Robin McKinley and Patricia Briggs is the character development along with cohesive and interesting plot.

Unfortunately, there is no information about any sequels to Sunshine so for now it's a stand alone piece. But I recommend it none-the-less to anyone who enjoys the Mercy series.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 08:51:45 pm »
Ditto.  I've been a McKinley reader from way back, but I would have skipped Sunshine if not for checking out the first page.
I was hooked by the second paragraph, when Sunshine comments:
"Ruby and her ex-military cohorts come in on Mondays & attack the place with an assortment of high tech blasting gear that would whack Godzilla into submission:  those single-track military minds never think to ask their cleaning staff for help in giant lethal maurading creature matters."

Ya gotta love it.

shelee

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 06:04:09 am »
The first Robin Mckinley book i read was The Blue Sword it was on sell for $2.95, and that was the only reason i got it. Since then I have reread the book I don't know how many times. But I have to say that Sunshine for me is one of the best books I own. I looked on her website a while back to see about a sequal, but if i remember correctly she dosn't sit down and decide to do a sequal or write a book; she waits for the books to come to her. Unfortunatly.  So she doesn't know if or when there will be one.

Kmarie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 09:53:53 am »
I ordered Sunshine from my Library last week and started in on it as soon as I could.  I love the characters...my fav being Con, and I wonder just who or what Mel is??  Anywho, while I enjoyed the characters interaction I was actually yelling at the book to get on with it already.  I don't know how many times I got so frustrated that I had to sit the book aside for awhile - I ended up skipping through paragraphs that to me, were too much mind babble from Sunshine. 
"A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature." -
  --  Lucius Annaeus Seneca