Author Topic: A question about starting off as a writer.  (Read 4162 times)

Lightning

• Grease Monkey
A question about starting off as a writer.
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »
hi patty i was wondering how did you start off as a writer ie. how did you get your foot in the door?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:41:10 pm by Elle »
long live Briggs<br />Alpha and Omaga Rocks  <br />Pity those foolish enough to get between me and the books

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: starting off
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »
Starting off is tough.  No doubt about it.  Publishers get thousands of manuscripts a month, most of which would never sell for them -- wrong genre, poorly written, or they've just published three books with similiar themes.  So they look for ways to make less work for themselves.  The current model is to say "no unsolicited manuscripts".  Which means you need an agent (which can actually be more difficult than getting a publisher because an agent has to sell your work in order to make money, an editor just has to publish it.)  Or you need to go to SF conventions where editors hang out and sell yourself to them (gently).  If you do it well enough, they will give you a business card and tell you to send them the manuscript -- and tadah! you are now solicitied!

That's not how I did it.  I followed the advice Orson Scott Card gives in his Writing SF & Fantasy, sending out sample chapters and synopsis to every publishing house publishing fantasy.  I don't know if that method would work today.
Best of luck,
Patty