Author Topic: Unprofessional Update  (Read 8348 times)

Mims Brown

Unprofessional Update
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:44:29 am »
Those pictures were gergous! Thank you for your deviation from the "professionalism" of keeping a web site.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:23:57 pm by Elle »

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Unprofessional Update
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:27 am »
You're welcome.   If I can't be professional, at least someone enjoyed my goofing off!   ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:11:29 am »
I enjoyed it, too, Mike!  (And I have to say that I love all the changes you've made to the website in the last year or so.  Looks great, and it's very readable.  And I love that you guys are coming in more frequently with updates of what's going on with Patty and the books.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:09 am »
Thank you Nifty!  Since I can't write books, I might as well put a little work into the website.    :P

Actually, there's another fairly substantial makeover coming in a week or so.  I wasn't entirely happy with the current scheme; I'm a decent programmer but not much of a graphic artist.  I hired a graphic artist to look at the site, and he built a mock-up based on what I'd told him.  Basically, I was trying to get a more organic, less rigid look.  He did everything I asked him to do, but we weren't entirely happy with his concept: /images/adam_mockup.jpg

So, I've been playing around a little bit, and have verified that I suck at graphic design.  However, we're getting closer to something I can live with.  It will end up looking similar to the current site, but hopefully a little more fluid and open.  This image doesn't have headers or the sub-menu (which is the next big piece I'm working on).  But you can see kind of where I'm going with it here:  /images/new_site.jpg.   I don't like the footer either.   Arrrggghh!  >:(

I'm supposed to be out fencing today, but it's cold and nasty so I'm procrastinating like a lazy bum!

Where's my super-suit?

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:00:28 am »
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess, 'cause I think what you have AND what you're working on both look great.  (And by the way...  No comment on whether or not you can write books, but I think you WRITE very well.  Your writing has a comfortable "readability" to it that I enjoy.  And I like that you write technically well also.  For me, that's probably part of the readability.  Blame my English-teacher mother.  :P)

Let me ask you this:  Is there a link somewhere here on the message board (that I'm just missing) that takes you directly to the main Hurog site?  I haven't ever found one, and when I want to go to the main site from the forum, I have to go up into the browser's address bar and type "hurog.com".  It'd make it easier if there was a toggle-link, or whatever you programming types would call such animals.  But, then again...maybe I'm just being oblivious and it's here and I just keep missing it.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:50 am »
I love the new website layout- its also much clearer than example that the graphic artist has shown. That looked abit too busy and dark, and I also love the regular updates and little slices of life ;D And I think your writing is great Mike- I especially loved the story when you described how Cry Wolf wouldnt die despite the numerous rewrites :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:21:07 am »
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess, 'cause I think what you have AND what you're working on both look great.  (And by the way...  No comment on whether or not you can write books, but I think you WRITE very well.  Your writing has a comfortable "readability" to it that I enjoy.  And I like that you write technically well also.  For me, that's probably part of the readability.  Blame my English-teacher mother.  :P)

Let me ask you this:  Is there a link somewhere here on the message board (that I'm just missing) that takes you directly to the main Hurog site?  I haven't ever found one, and when I want to go to the main site from the forum, I have to go up into the browser's address bar and type "hurog.com".  It'd make it easier if there was a toggle-link, or whatever you programming types would call such animals.  But, then again...maybe I'm just being oblivious and it's here and I just keep missing it.

Nope, no link directly back, and it's a royal pain.  One of the things on my "to-do" list is to write a custom skin for the forums.  Unfortunately, I've given up even guessing when I might find time to do it.  :-\   Sorry!
Where's my super-suit?

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:37:08 am »
Oh, no prob.  You've got a lot on your plate, I'm sure!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »
Thank you Nifty!  Since I can't write books, I might as well put a little work into the website.    :P

Actually, there's another fairly substantial makeover coming in a week or so.  I wasn't entirely happy with the current scheme; I'm a decent programmer but not much of a graphic artist.  I hired a graphic artist to look at the site, and he built a mock-up based on what I'd told him.  Basically, I was trying to get a more organic, less rigid look.  He did everything I asked him to do, but we weren't entirely happy with his concept: /images/adam_mockup.jpg
I'm supposed to be out fencing today, but it's cold and nasty so I'm procrastinating like a lazy bum!

Wow!  Swordsmanship in ice!  You're a braver soul than I, Mr. Mike!  Even with doubleknit headgear!
<grin>
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:33:37 pm »
Hope it wasn' t Barb wire fencing, that sucks in hot weather, has to 4x wrost in sub zero weather.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:48:36 pm »
Mike, I agree with Nifty that you've got a very nice writing style.

It makes for very comfortable reading and God knows you've done about everything. I giggle to myself everytime someone has a random question like, 'I'd like to farm ostriches on the moon but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.'

Here comes Mike......'Well, I had a brief stint as a lunar ostritch farmer and I can tell you this much......'

You're a well of interesting stuff! You should put it all SOMEWHERE. Whether it's fiction or just a memoir of being the poor spouse of a tempramental scribe.

Or 'SOTS' as I like to call you poor fellas who are married to us creative types.  ;)
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »
Nottled, you give me too much credit.  The problem is that I have gypsy blood, and can't seem to stick with any one thing for very long.   The good news is that I learn new things pretty quickly.  I've long had a rule that when I walk into a job and go a whole day without learning anything new, it's time to move on.   I've managed to earn a decent handful of degrees, and rack up enough credits that I'm close to several more.  I've got certifications in all sorts of weird things that once held my interest, but which I haven't kept on or no longer follow.  I'm the proverbial jack of all trades, and master of none. 

I haven't, for example done any lunar ostrich farming.  But I grew up on a farm (including raising various flavors of poultry), I've fed ostriches, and I used to work at a planetarium.  I also managed to take number of classes in astronomy, but I was focused primarily in astrophysics and cosmology rather than lunar studies.  Sadly, this "scattergun" approach to learning continues across the board (except for history and social sciences, where I am woefully ignorant).

Anyway, thanks for putting up with the crazy man's meanderings.   My wife says I'm most useful as an author's ready reference.  :P ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:01:22 pm »
Well, thee & me, Sir.  Between us & Grey Drakkon, I think we keep the place pretty well informed.  And I agree, your writing style is very comfortable.  Considering some of the blunders I've pulled, I ought to have retreated into a hole & pulled it in over myself, but you make me feel as though I'm just plain human, not a doofus.  So if you're not comfortable with the idea of "writing" any more than I'm comfortable with the idea of writing an "epic" I say - okay.  Just write comfortable chats with us, leaving your beautiful bride to win bread with the "writing" she's comfortable with.  We'll treasure you & snicker at the fools who don't get to share your gentle genius.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:13:25 pm »
 :-[  Blushing brightly   

Awww Patti, you're too sweet!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.  And now I'm tempted to lock this thread before my ego becomes unmanageable!  I'm actually very relieved to hear that folks enjoy what I'm doing on the website.   I spent too long doing scientific / technical writing and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tone it down and sound friendly and conversational.   Apparently it's working, hooray!  ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:34 pm »
i put up a temp link to the main site in the news section on every piece of news

There is no place like /~