Author Topic: Canine Fiction  (Read 28169 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Canine Fiction
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 07:58:21 pm »
LeGuin would be Ursula K., although I think Wolf Moon is by deLint, you might check his thread  :D
And then there's Mowgli in the jungle books to compliment Julie of the wolves.
Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat, a Canadian biologist who camped for months watching a wolf pack & interacting with them, some of the first scientific observation of the species, not too long after WW II.
And how about Silver Chief of the RCMP?
I've got a good quantity of Albert Payson Terhune's books, just starting with 'Lad, a Dog'.
And S.P. Meek, of various army ranks, writing about dogs & at least one horse, 'Frog, the Horse Who Knew No Master'.
One of the neat things about Meek, besides watching him go from Capt. to Col., is that at least one of his stories takes place in & around a Washington State army base.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 02:28:41 pm »
Maybe, I don't have that great a memory. *blushes*

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 06:10:14 pm »
Well, don't forget how long ago you probably read it.  If it didn't make a 'Patty Briggs' impression, it's easy to lose the author name.

Besides, you want to talk about a bad memory, I forgot how to cut & paste from an email list to clipboard to the actual outgoing email between being shown how & sitting down to do it myself just today. 
Um, who was I talking to again?   ;D ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 12:14:34 pm »
lol, at least I'm not the only one.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 07:58:43 pm »
One what? :D ;D
I've got some kind of oddball stuff, including an old kid's book.  I think the title's 'Here Tricks, Here!'.
Couple of kids get hold of a Boston Terrier & have various adventures/lessons.  Very pre-60s.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 07:32:12 pm »
I am really rather amazed at how many of these books I have at least heard of if not read.  :)
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 09:11:47 pm »
Hey, Zealith, I was poking around in my storage today, & discovered to my surprise that I do own a copy of 'Wolf Moon', & it is by deLint.  So now I'm having another go at reading it.

I'm beginning to think I'm hallucinating, though.  I thought I'd posted one of my really (or maybe fakely  :D) annoying lists of authors or books with dogs, & I'm not seeing it at the moment.
So I thought I'd double check.  Anybody here read any of the Albert Payson Terhune books beyond 'Lad: A Dog"?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 09:50:24 pm »
Patti, weren't there several Lad books or am I confused? I last read those books in high school and that was a couple decades ago.  ;) I seem to recall several stories about merle-colred collies and various misadventures but as I said, it was a long time ago. Anyway, if those were not Terhune stories then I guess I have only read Lad:A Dog by him. 

As I was going through the thread I didn't see books by Jim Kjelgaard (sp?) mentioned. The only title I can recall at the moment is "Big Red" but I know there were more. Again, it's been a looong time. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention re:Kelley Armstrong. In the first post her online fiction was mentioned. Most of it has now come down as it is being collected in an anthology, tentatively titled "Men of the Otherworld". The novellas are gone, except for this years, and the short stories from 2005 are still available.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:54:50 pm by charmed »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 01:41:11 am »
Yes, Charmed, Lad had two or three anthologies largely to himself, and Grey Dawn was the Blue Merle who also had a collection of his stories.  Then there was Wolf, Lad's throwback son, Treve, & Bruce as the main dogs of 'The Place'.
Kjelgard -again, however it's spelled,- had several books about Big Red's offspring, including Irish Red & Outlaw Red.  One on a different tangent I think was called 'Wild Trek' or 'Snow Trek'.
And of course there were the companions of certain juvenile heros, like Ribsey, or Snowball, going back to TinTin.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 04:31:50 am »
yep, those are the ones I read. I remember liking them a lot, maybe I'll see if my local library has tehm and reread them.  Thanks :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 09:29:14 am »
You'll find it an interesting effect, if they have any.  Don't forget, these are from not long after the turn of the last century.  I may be mistaken by 20 years, but I believe that Bruce was sent as a war dog for WWI!  The conventions & language of the time & social class distinctions that are no longer held, at least in public, are rather eye opening.  Which isn't to say that I don't still love them.  I have to be careful when I re-read these to not cry onto the pages.  I am such a cream puff when one of the dogs is hurt or scared.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 04:00:59 pm »
Yeah I remember that from when I read them. I was in junior high, about 12 or so, and a lot of it just didn't make sense to me. the class distinctions especially made no sense to me and I'm sure I missed some of the nuances. They would be worth re-reading just for that alone, as a sort of comparison and contrast with the present day.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »
How about some of you lurkers dashing into the open & making a comment or two?  I promise not to bite or claw. :-)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 12:20:41 pm »
Dont' even think about clawing Patti.
i'll claw back...
 ;D ;)

I officially need to find these books you two have been... er.... typing about.
You sucked me in. Darn it. More books for the list!
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 08:44:39 pm »
Well, I've warned you that I'm evil, haven't I?  It may take you a while to get hold of anything but the basic Lad, which is reprinted once in a while.  And the dog training & mentality theories expressed by the author are flabbergasting to the modern mind.