Author Topic: Canine Fiction  (Read 28168 times)

Konrad

• Grease Monkey
    • My booklog
Canine Fiction
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »
This is just a big list of stuff I've read featuring dogs, wolves, etc.

Mark Stanley, Freefall (webcomic)
http://freefall.purrsia.com/fcdex.htm
heroine is a gene-engineered wolf/human

Carrie Vaughn, Kitty series:
Kitty and The Midnight Hour
Kitty Goes to Washington
Kitty Takes a Holiday

heroine is a werewolf

Terry Pratchett:
Moving Pictures
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
Fifth Elephant

a talking dog and a werewolf; you may want to start with Guards! Guards!

Jane Lindskold, Firekeeper series:
Through Wolf's Eyes
Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart
The Dragon of Despair
Wolf Captured
Wolf Hunting
Wolf's Blood

heroine thinks she's a wolf and has a big wolf for a companion

Roger Zelazny:
A Night in the Lonesome October
narrated by a dog

Robin Hobb, Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies:
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest
Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

hero has two dogs and a wolf as familiars; note that Tawny Man has references to the Liveship trilogy, so that should be read first

Garth Nix, Old Kingdom trilogy:
Sabriel
Lirael
Abhorsen

the heroine of the second and third books has the Disreputable Dog as a sidekick

C.E. Murphy, Joanne Walker series:
Urban Shaman
"Banshee Cries"
Thunderbird Falls
Coyote Dreams

heroine is a shaman with Coyote as her spirit guide

Keri Arthur: Guardian series:
Full Moon Rising
Kissing Sin
Tempting Evil
Dangerous Games
Embraced by Darkness

heroine is half werewolf, half vampire

Kelley Armstrong, Otherworld series:
Bitten
Stolen
Broken

heroine is a werewolf (series also includes non-werewolf books and werewolf short fiction on the author's website, but read Bitten first)
http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/aNovellas.htm

Holly Lisle, Secret Texts trilogy:
Diplomacy of Wolves
Vengeance of Dragons
Courage of Falcons

heroine is similar to a werewolf

Will Shetterly:
Dogland (http://qwertyranch.blogspot.com/2007/07/dogland.html)
about a dog-based tourist attraction

Tom Siddell, Gunnerkrigg Court (webcomic)
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1
heroine owns a toy wolf (which is more than it seems), and the current chapter introduces two canine characters

F. Paul Wilson, Repairman Jack series:
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies
All the Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline

the Ladies With Dogs start showing up in Hosts

Diane Duane, Young Wizards series:
So You Want to be a Wizard
Deep Wizardry
High Wizardry
A Wizard Abroad
Wizard's Dilemma
A Wizard Alone
Wizard's Holiday
Wizards at War

dog becomes an important character in Dilemma
Stealing the Elf-King's Roses (not part of a series)
heroine's sidekick is a fayhound

Jim Butcher, Dresden series:
Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat
Proven Guilty
White Night

the second is all about werewolves, lycanthropes, hexenwolves, a loup-garou, and something else (some of them show up in later books); also, the hero adopts a Temple Dog in Blood Rites

Tanya Huff: Vicky Nelson series
Blood Price
Blood Trails
Blood Lines
Blood Pact
Blood Debt

the second is about werewolves

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Canine Fiction
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:45:08 pm »
Jane Lindskold, Firekeeper series:
Through Wolf's Eyes
Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart
The Dragon of Despair
Wolf Captured
Wolf Hunting
Wolf's Blood
heroine thinks she's a wolf and has a big wolf for a companion

Roger Zelazny:
A Night in the Lonesome October
narrated by a dog

Currently reading Wolf's Blood, I enjoyed these books, different way of treating magic.  Bit more standing around and talking than I like, but I could handle it. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "A Night in the Lonesome October", fabulous book.  Anyone who hasn't read it, go out and do so now, you won't regret it!
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:52:39 pm »
Terry Pratchett is phenomenal! My favorite character is Angua, her brother Wolfgang creeped me out...
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:24:17 am »
You might also consider Jennifer Roberson's series, about the Chesuli.  The main characters are shape shifters, each bonded to one (or rarely more) specimin of some animal or bird, & can change shape to that species.  Personally, I had to bow out after about the 2nd for reasons I won't bore you with, although angst was involved, but they're nice & thick, they'll keep you going for a while.

Or, outside F/SF, there's the "Bloodhound" mysteries by Lanier, woman trains & trails bloodhounds; Charles Lee Kelley's series about an ex-police psychologist turned dog trainer (the author is a trainer himself), & the first 'baked bean' mysteries by Nancy Pickard.  The woman had a weimaraner (sorry about the mis-spelling, I can't get german spelling).  Unfortunately, either the author killed off the dog, or the person who took over the series did away with it.
One of my favorite series of mysteries with dogs is the 'Jason Lynx' series by "A.J.Orde", who is also B.J.Oliphant, & (if I recall correctly) Sheri S. Tepper.  Jason's got 'big white dog Bela', from a Hungarian breed, fairly rare.  And Bela is joined by a couple of Maine Coon Cats, by & by.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:45:54 pm »
Tamora Peirce also has books out with canines in them.

In the Immortals Quartet "Wolf-Speaker" but you should start with "Wild Magic" great series.
In The Protector of the Small Quartet there is a dog named Jump. he has real personality.
In the Circle of Magic books there is a dog. The name Bear is very apt.

All of them are wonderful.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:25 pm »
You might also consider Jennifer Roberson's series, about the Chesuli.  The main characters are shape shifters, each bonded to one (or rarely more) specimin of some animal or bird, & can change shape to that species.  Personally, I had to bow out after about the 2nd for reasons I won't bore you with, although angst was involved, but they're nice & thick, they'll keep you going for a while.

Urf.  The characters in her books drove me MAD.  The stupid woman in the first book couldn't give a better excuse for not being raped than "No!" and shaking her head.  How about "I'll geld you while you sleep if you lay a finger on me that I don't invite"?  The guy seemed pretty practical, I'm sure he'd have understood a direct threat rather than just the same word over and over. :P
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:55:34 pm »
I had someone try acquaintance rape on me, Grey Drakkon.  Rational thought isn't something that comes easily in that situation. It's been so long since I read it that I don't remember the rape.
But I just got crabby about all the 'forordained fate' cr*p in the series. 

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:39 pm »
It was pretty close to the beginning, where the one guy kept trying to get in her pants even though she didn't like him at all, he SHOULDN'T have liked her because she was a spoiled brat, and his lir kept telling him hands off.  I didn't really expect her to be eloquent about it, but when the guy says "why not?" she should come up with a little something more than "No!". :P 

Jule

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26:41 pm »
 I liked Holly Lisle and Kelley Armstrong and Robin Hobb. I don't know if you can add George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire because while the Stark children's companions are wolves, the books do not focus on them. and then there's Benighted by Kit Whitfield and Tara K. Harper's Wolf in Night. I aslo know that some of Charlaine Harris's books have werewolves in them.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15:32 pm »
Was looking at 'Pets' over in chat, & it reminded me of 2 other mystery series w. dogs. 
The 'Holly Winter' series, she writes for dog publications, & shows her huskies around the mysteries.
And Gerald Hammond does a series about a retired British Army captain named John Cunningham who breeds & trains springer spaniels.  The author wrote that he prefers Labs himself, but they're too predictable for what he needed in the books.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 02:34:54 pm »
In the Maximum Ride series (I can't remember the author's name, and I can't find my books. grrrr.)
there are these wolf-human genetically engineered things... they're creepy. the main characters are actually genetically engineered Bird-humans. It's fun.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
It's James Patterson, Spryte.  They're usually found in the Teen section of my local B&N.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 01:59:54 pm »
that's it ;D ! My fingers tried to type Phillip Pullman, but I KNEW that he didn't write them :-\. But anywho, they are good books, even if the human-wolf things freak me out a bit.  ;)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:14:11 pm »
I think they're meant to.  Part of why I didn't really finish the first & haven't picked up either of the newer ones.
By the by, I didn't notice, did anyone mention all the wolves/sorcerers in Eddings' Belgariad & Mallorean?  Poledra WAS a wolf who picked the 7,000 year old sorcerer for her mate.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 06:02:24 pm »
I'm amazed at howmany of these books I recognise. :D

Wolf Moon, by something LeGuin. 'Bout a werewolf coming to terms with himself.
And while we're talking about wolf books, who can forget Juliet of the Wolves? Though I'm sure most of us prefer harder books then that. A good nonfiction was Captive Wild, by Louis Crisler. It was about how she raised a pack of wolves. A good book to remind people wild animals aren't pets.

I really enjoy the Firekeeper series, truelly one of my favorites. The Hobb's series are good too, though I haven't found the last one yet.