Author Topic: Horse Training in the Hurog Books  (Read 3669 times)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Horse Training in the Hurog Books
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:27:33 pm »
I was just reminded of the scene where Ward gentles Stygian, and I was wondering what horse training methods have you read up on/use?  I've heard of the Amish using gentle training on horses, as well as Monty Roberts (horse whisperer). 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Horse Training in the Hurog Books
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:46:21 pm »
Hey Grey :)
I am not a horse trainer by any stretch of the imagination.  I do some training of my own horses (or they train me, depending upon how you look on it), but mostly as problems come up.

I belong to the common sense philosophy of horse training:  which is mostly just a few rules. 1. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.  2. If the horse isn't enjoying himself, he's not going to want to come and play anymore.  3. Stupid seeming things usually are -- also known as the No Stupid Gadgets rule.  4.  Keep it safe -- which means that riding nasty-tempered or evil horses is fine.  Riding dumb horses (no matter how gentle) is not.  Dumb horses will get you killed.

I've read a lot of Monty Roberts, of course (certainly Stygian benefited from him).  He's become really commercial, but I think his methods are sound.  Actually, a lot of the stuff he talks about are things I learned from my own riding teacher years and years ago.  I really like Mark Rashid -- he's a great storyteller as well as a real common sense trainer.  I don't have much experience with some of the other Big Names.   John Lyons did some nifty stuff with bridleless horses that looked fun, but I'll probably never try it myself.  A long time ago a trainer named Charles O. Williamson wrote a terrific book called Breaking and Training the Stock Horse  which is awesome -- and not limited to Stock Horses.  I protect my copy with my life as it was last reprinted in 1973 and is selling on Amazon for $100.  Mostly, though, I toddle along on my own, picking up gems here and there from the people I ride with.