Author Topic: Dragon Blood Discussion  (Read 15145 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Dragon Blood Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »
Selig was the great hero with giant feet of clay.  And Stalla was the bastard daughter of Ward's maternal grandfather, not the paternal one. 
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 06:50:01 am »
Um... my impression was that Seleg was both Oreg's father and the one who killed the dragon.

In fact, I'm currently reading Dragon Bones, and the Tamerlain's god calls Oreg "child of the dragon killer".

I'm not sure what you mean by the "giant feet of clay" Patti.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:51 am »
No, check the name for Ward's father.  It's like the "Marrok'son" or "Smithson".
Ward thought Selig was a great hero, tried to be like him, until he found out that instead of protecting dragons, he'd chained the one whose bones are under the keep.  That act was what I'm referring to with the 'giant feet of clay'; great looking idol, in the head, torso, thighs, made of gold, it seems, -- right until you get to those troll sized clay feet.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 09:57:43 am »
Whenever Ward's father comes up in discussions, my blood boils.  In my opinion he is horrifyingly violent and crazy.  Historically, royal families have engaged in such evil in pursuit of the power and wealth the royal position gave them, for centuries.  There certainly is written record of many *royal* atrocities, for example, whatever happened to those two young boys locked in the English tower, never to be seen or heard from again?  History...and Ward's father...are appalling.

**grumble**

Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:12 am »
I keep thinking about Ward's admiration for Selig, with his subsequent disappointment. I suspect such a course is inevitable when we greatly admire someone.  Humans are...dreadfully human (and wonderfully too, of course.)  But everyone has feet of clay, no one is heroic 100% of the time.  I think we are all capable of some heroic deeds, some of the time. I read a small book once upon a time about the everyday heroes in us all; it takes considerable courage to just live an everyday life sometimes. Anyway, I think losing hero-worship is part of Ward's growing up, and he will be the better for a more balanced view. Admire the good deeds, and not the hero....

Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson