Author Topic: Dragon Bones Discussion  (Read 37501 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Dragon Bones Discussion
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
It was funny, when I first read the Mercy books then went looking for Patricia's website I was all...hurog.com? I don't get it. Kind of a strange website URL, then I read Dragon Bones and I thought it couldn't have been anything but that. Yup. Hurog means dragon. :)

I love this book. I love that even though Wardwick has hidden his true self, he remains true to himself.

And reading about everyone else coming to the realization that he's not what he appears to be was a lot of fun. I'd have to say that second to Ward, Oreg's evolution made the book for me. I don't know, can we talk about the books? I don't want to spoil things for anyone who hasn't read them, but I'd love to talk about them.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Dragon Bones Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »
I think its pretty safe to assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers wouldn't read a thread devoted to that book...I wouldn't anyways.  ;) 

I wound up finding myself giggling out loud at people's response to Ward.  In fact, I wound up emotionally riding along with all the characters on the book.  I LOVED that the love interest felt so genuine, and gave a good reason for the main character not sleeping around without being a prude.  I also liked the main female lead in the second book, which for some reason is unusual for me...I wind up loathing most female characters, maybe because so many authors just don't know what to do with them.  They either make them weak and useless, or strong unreasoning bitches.  Hurm, sorry for the tangent there, I'll stop it while I'm not yet frothing.

"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »
Grey Drakkon, I liked that about the book as well, even though there was that hint of romance with Tisala , a definite spark, there wasn't the rush to make it into something and the book remains more about Ward's journey.

He's at his core a true Hurogmeten, a guardian not only to the dragons but to his people and the land.

One of my favorite parts of the book is when Duraugh sends the Blue Guard with Beckram. "We fight as one." Nice. And most definitely, the responses to Ward are just the best to read. Awesome stuff.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:48 am »
Another thing I like is how the horses are treated...Not by the people in the book, but the author.  She gives them personalities and quirks that real horses have, but without loosing the book to them. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:54:30 am »
Although I can't really decide on a favourite book, Ward is definitely my favourite character Patty Briggs has written so far.

Taphien

toastedfroglegs

• Grease Monkey
  • I dont negotiate with my food
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 10:46:39 am »
yes, dragon bones and its sequel are definitely my favorite patricia briggs books so far.  i like the whole medieval book setting and these books are very well written compared to others i have read.  i also love dragons when they are presented in a good way.  the thought the all dragons are evil or all are good and such typecasting never sat well with me.  in other words, im a big fan of dragonheart as well...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 12:44:59 am »
i wonder about the bastard little brother i hope Patty writes a third

There is no place like /~

BuddhaJean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:42 pm »
I love the Dragonheart movie! I cry every time Draco dies!

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:52:27 pm »
i think you are confused

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:11:59 pm »
She's replying to toastedfrogsleg's last sentence...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »
oh thanks

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 01:12:49 pm »
Definitely want more Dragon Books. :D

I think one of my favorite parts was where Ward gentles Stygian and changes his name to Pansy. Great scene. Loved this bit. "I would not grieve for my father. I would not. Instead, I would spend the afternoon making his horse mine."
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »
I totally "gleed" over that part. ;)  Oh, you just made me think of a question for Patricia! 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 01:29:21 pm »
Fabulous! I'm totally trying to think up some Ward questions for Patricia. There's so much info I want to know...worthy of a sequel. :D

I just love those little moments where Ward is outwardly so slow but inside so sharp and witty. Love it.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 01:30:53 pm »
I don't remember if you were at the last chat (sorry, I have a major failure when it comes to remembering names) but I asked her if she's thinking of doing another book in that world after she's caught up with what she has to do now, and she said definitely. ^_^

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 01:34:51 pm »
You've made my day, Grey Drakkon. :D

I've not made any of the chats 'cause they conflict with work, but I've been trying to find out if she's going to do another book in the Dragon series. The problem with the Mercy books being so popular (and I love them) is that with the bigger her fan base becomes I was afraid we'd seen the last of Ward and Oreg. :(
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 01:38:59 pm »
Yeah I was worried that she was "moving away" from straight fantasy, but it looks like she was just taking a breather.  If you have some time on your hands, the transcripts for the chats are on the "chat" page on the main Hurog website. 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 07:27:40 pm »
I just read through the transcripts. Oh so many tidbits of information. Loved it. Lots of really great Mercy info as well. That was a good chat.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 07:17:52 pm »
*ears perk up*  The chats are archived?  Bless whoever thought of that!

*puts pot on to boil*  I'm going to be here a while. ;)
Don't let the muggles get you down.
-Ron Weasley

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 07:39:49 pm »
Reu, if you haven't already, check out the "Ask Patty" section. Grey Drakkon has been editing a bunch of the chat sessions and putting them in there. There's some great comments in there.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 08:19:24 pm »
Yep, have most of the first month's chat up, going to work on getting the rest of it in the "Ask Patty" section over time. 

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 08:54:23 pm »
Grey Drakkon has been editing a bunch of the chat sessions and putting them in there.

Thanks for doing that GD.  There are lots of times I think, "yeah, Patty answered that in a chat."  But I'm too lazy to look it up ;).

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:01:43 pm »
Hehhh, that was my issue too...Laziness along with obsessive compulsiveness combined so I could organize the chats. ;)

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 10:46:25 pm »
Reu, if you haven't already, check out the "Ask Patty" section. Grey Drakkon has been editing a bunch of the chat sessions and putting them in there. There's some great comments in there.

GD - want some fresh out of the oven Chocolate Chip cookies?  :D
-Ron Weasley

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 05:22:53 am »
Oh hell yes I do!  Gimme!  ;D 

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 05:35:54 am »
sorry i already stole the cookies last night

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 11:07:15 pm »
They're all gone? *shrugs* I can make more.  ;D

I need to make shortbread or sugar cookies anyway, adding another batch of chocolate chip cookies won't be too hard.

But next time Cole - SHARE. ;)
-Ron Weasley

FireCatZ

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 09:22:20 pm »
These are the first of Patricia's Books that I read. I loved them and got my neighbor's daughter hook on them. If I remember correctly in the chat on January 6th 2008 Patricia said that there is going to be another Huong book.

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 09:23:51 pm »
Hurog and yes most likely

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:09 am »
Yep, Patty's gearing up to write another Hurog book after she's done with the Mercy books and the revised Masques.  I'm very excited about it, because Hurog's my absolute favorite.  Ya can't beat dragons!  ;) 

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 04:07:17 pm »
you cant beat oreg

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 04:44:39 pm »
you cant beat oreg

No, you can't.  He's one of my favorite characters.  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 01:57:36 am »
Oreg is very cool. I love his mischievousness.  Although, Pansy is probably a close second. :D
-Ron Weasley

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 01:59:11 am »
no the little 12 year old is close second

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 02:32:19 am »
I want to see what she does with him, I guess.  I like Pansy. :D  That horse has a lot of personality. :D
-Ron Weasley

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 09:12:08 am »
He does, I loved the deliberate way Ward changed his name from the deadly & disturbing Stygian to the innocuous Pansy, maintaining him as a war horse, and yet making him safer to be around.  It's just so evocative of most things involving humans, how we have the inbuilt contradictions.
Another war horse with a lot of personality is Faran, from the Sparhawk books by David & Leigh Eddings.  That big ole roan just gets so ornery, and yet he would probably walk through fire for Sparhawk.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 02:52:01 pm »
I have to admit, the way the horses had personalities too made me enjoy the books even more.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 04:25:29 pm »
Duck in "Hob's Bargain", and the bard's mare.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:57 pm »
You all had an interesting topic going about Shavigmen swordmanship. I've split it from the general discussion and moved it into the Hurog Series discussion. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 11:14:26 pm »
gallandro and Patti, I just split the Dragon Blood conversation into a new topic and moved it over to the DB forum. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 02:22:24 pm »
The discussion had evolved into a discussion of the chat and the book club so I split the posts and moved them into teh Book club thread.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 09:50:57 pm »
Dragon Bones was the first of Briggs' books that I read.  I found it browsing through the sf/fantasy section of my favorite bookstore.  I read the first two chapters in the store and was hooked.  After reading it I immediately set out to find every single book that she had written (still disappointed that I can't get my hands on Masques).

Oreg is probably my single favorite character in any book that she has written.  He is awesome.

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:29 pm »
Have you seen the 'borrow a copy of Masques' thread yet, AEH?  It's hanging out with the contests, more or less, as I recall.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:19 am »
Have you seen the 'borrow a copy of Masques' thread yet, AEH?  It's hanging out with the contests, more or less, as I recall.

I haven't read the thread, I saw it at a glance.  I am often rather loathe to borrow books from people that I don't know though.  And I think that I can wait for there to be an edited version out (and until then keep checking used bookstores, not that it is likely to show up).  I am a broke college student, so I would worry that something would happen to someone else's copy.

AEH (aka Adri)
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 09:07:10 am »
As you like, but you're looking at probably 7 years.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:16 pm »
I know, but she will be publishing stuff between now and then, and my mind might change when I stop being a broke college student, and have more time to read.  Most of the reading that I have been doing is new books by my favorite authors as they come out and books that my best friend/roommate hands to me.  Since college started, (not including the break where I was at home and things that I have read for class), I have read 5 books: Iron Kissed, the Vaneyal books by Mercedes Lackey, and re-read The God Eaters by Jesse Hajiceck.  I've felt somewhat book deprived, but I haven't had the time for much more.

AEH

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 04:15:22 am »
I started this one today  :)
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:09 am »
Ward is the best, you'll enjoy!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 01:13:03 pm »
I did...and the sequel too :p
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

turtlezipp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
OMG. 

i admit i really really enjoyed reading the Mercy books, which is the reason that i even started reading dragon bones.  but i really didnt expect to like that book anywhere near as much as i did.  too often the books beyond the first one you read by an author never fully live up to the first one read.  however much praise this book deserves, i fear i cannot give it.  i'm making this post short because, although, i felt i had to show my appriciation for such a fine work of literature, i must now go so that i may begin dragon blood.  :P  suffice it to say that the book was well appriciated and well loved.  (also a must read for ppl who appriciate this genre of books)

Heres to looking forward to the second book of the series.
~zipp

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:39 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it/them. This series is my favorite out of her works mainly because of the characterization.  I find the elements that tie together to shape Ward to be fascinating!

lazybeth

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 07:16:23 am »
I just wanted to say that this set of books (Dragon Bones/Dragon Blood) is my favorite of all   :D :-LOVE... I really hope some day Patricia continues the storyline.  I love so many of the characters and want to know what happens to them! For now they just get to live on in my imaginiation.  8)
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
- Jane Austen

red42

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »
Dragon Bones was the very first book I read by Patricia.  I think I read it at least monthly.  If I've had a hard day (and as a PhD research student there are a lot of those) its the book I pick up to relax me.  I just love it!
And would really love there to be more books in the series....
Although the Mercy and Alpha and Omega books are very close second....
And all the rest actually - can never get enough!

Tish

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 10:51:42 pm »
I bought Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood about a year ago for a road trip and they've been in my TBR pile since.  I bought them because Patty wrote them and I love her Mercy Thompson series.  I've never read straight fantasy, just urban fantasy.  I finally read these books last week and had one question for myself.  Why in the hell did it take you so long to read these awesomely fantastic books you idiot?  Needless to say I totally loved them and definetly want more.  Ward is just wonderful, Oreg is my favorite, and I don't have the words to describe the greatness that is Tisala.  I'm pushing them on my fellow readers.  Because of these two I checked out and read up on Raven's Shadow/Strike and am buying them the next chance I get.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »
I'm glad you finally picked them up! Any favorite Dragon Bones moments? I think I really enjoyed the reveals to Ward's family when they realized all that time he had been "hiding" such a great story. Ward is my favorite for sure then Oreg. I think they're up for re-read. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 09:03:17 pm »
I think I really enjoyed the reveals to Ward's family when they realized all that time he had been "hiding" such a great story.
What great story?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »
Maybe a missed comma.  :)

I think I really enjoyed the reveals to Ward's family when they realized all that time he had been "hiding", such a great story.

I meant Dragon Bones was a great story. Great book would probably have been better. My bad.  LOL
Hurog Means Dragon.

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »
Yes, definitely "Great Book!"(s!).  I agree with Elle - time for a re-read!  I've very much enjoyed Mercy's world, and am really looking forward to Silver Borne, but I can't wait until she gets back to Ward and the Hurog world. 

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 01:12:13 pm »
Don't forget that you can also contribute tidbits from the Hurog world here in the Hurog Worksheet!