Author Topic: Dragon Bones Discussion  (Read 37239 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Dragon Bones Discussion
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
It was funny, when I first read the Mercy books then went looking for Patricia's website I was all...hurog.com? I don't get it. Kind of a strange website URL, then I read Dragon Bones and I thought it couldn't have been anything but that. Yup. Hurog means dragon. :)

I love this book. I love that even though Wardwick has hidden his true self, he remains true to himself.

And reading about everyone else coming to the realization that he's not what he appears to be was a lot of fun. I'd have to say that second to Ward, Oreg's evolution made the book for me. I don't know, can we talk about the books? I don't want to spoil things for anyone who hasn't read them, but I'd love to talk about them.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Dragon Bones Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »
I think its pretty safe to assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers wouldn't read a thread devoted to that book...I wouldn't anyways.  ;) 

I wound up finding myself giggling out loud at people's response to Ward.  In fact, I wound up emotionally riding along with all the characters on the book.  I LOVED that the love interest felt so genuine, and gave a good reason for the main character not sleeping around without being a prude.  I also liked the main female lead in the second book, which for some reason is unusual for me...I wind up loathing most female characters, maybe because so many authors just don't know what to do with them.  They either make them weak and useless, or strong unreasoning bitches.  Hurm, sorry for the tangent there, I'll stop it while I'm not yet frothing.

"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »
Grey Drakkon, I liked that about the book as well, even though there was that hint of romance with Tisala , a definite spark, there wasn't the rush to make it into something and the book remains more about Ward's journey.

He's at his core a true Hurogmeten, a guardian not only to the dragons but to his people and the land.

One of my favorite parts of the book is when Duraugh sends the Blue Guard with Beckram. "We fight as one." Nice. And most definitely, the responses to Ward are just the best to read. Awesome stuff.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:48 am »
Another thing I like is how the horses are treated...Not by the people in the book, but the author.  She gives them personalities and quirks that real horses have, but without loosing the book to them. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:54:30 am »
Although I can't really decide on a favourite book, Ward is definitely my favourite character Patty Briggs has written so far.

Taphien

toastedfroglegs

• Grease Monkey
  • I dont negotiate with my food
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 10:46:39 am »
yes, dragon bones and its sequel are definitely my favorite patricia briggs books so far.  i like the whole medieval book setting and these books are very well written compared to others i have read.  i also love dragons when they are presented in a good way.  the thought the all dragons are evil or all are good and such typecasting never sat well with me.  in other words, im a big fan of dragonheart as well...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 12:44:59 am »
i wonder about the bastard little brother i hope Patty writes a third

There is no place like /~

BuddhaJean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:42 pm »
I love the Dragonheart movie! I cry every time Draco dies!

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:52:27 pm »
i think you are confused

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:11:59 pm »
She's replying to toastedfrogsleg's last sentence...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »
oh thanks

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 01:12:49 pm »
Definitely want more Dragon Books. :D

I think one of my favorite parts was where Ward gentles Stygian and changes his name to Pansy. Great scene. Loved this bit. "I would not grieve for my father. I would not. Instead, I would spend the afternoon making his horse mine."
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »
I totally "gleed" over that part. ;)  Oh, you just made me think of a question for Patricia! 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 01:29:21 pm »
Fabulous! I'm totally trying to think up some Ward questions for Patricia. There's so much info I want to know...worthy of a sequel. :D

I just love those little moments where Ward is outwardly so slow but inside so sharp and witty. Love it.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 01:30:53 pm »
I don't remember if you were at the last chat (sorry, I have a major failure when it comes to remembering names) but I asked her if she's thinking of doing another book in that world after she's caught up with what she has to do now, and she said definitely. ^_^